Breeds I Can't Figure Out

Quote:
Maybe a dumb question, but does that mean 4 forward and 1 back - I will look? If it makes identification any easier, she has grey/blue legs.

No, 3 in front and two in back...

Chris

Toes

Houdans have five toes on each foot.

The fifth toe should be well seperated from the fourth toe and curve gracefully out and skywards.

Serious defect in the toes is other than five toes on each foot.

Colouring of the legs and feet is white mottled with leaden blue or black.

Everyone is saying golden campine for #4, but to me it looks like a golden penciled hamburg. Can someone please tell me why it would not be a hamburg? Thanks
big_smile.png

Edited to say: what color are her legs, and what type of comb does she have?

Last edited:
@GAChknGirl - I will check to see how many toes she has

@ekemily - I will check to see what color her legs are, but her comb is very small and towards the front of her head

If we knew the comb type and leg color of #3, it would pinpoint the breed...
Sicilian Buttercup, comb- "buttercup," leg color- willow green
Golden Penciled Hamburg, comb- "rose," leg color- leaden blue
Golden Campine, comb- "single," leg color- leaden blue

As far as #4 goes, it seems to be either a Mottled Houdan or White Crested Black Polish with hatchery-quality coloring. In McMurray's picture their Mottled Houdans have beards, but jkitsmiller's bird doesn't.
hu.gif
Do Houdans come in a non-bearded variety?

Quote:
Alright y'all, I sure appreciate all your help and input and I have definitely learned a LOT. What I thought were similar (simply didn't bother to look closer with all of them running around), are different. So here are the ones in question.

This is the one I had in the original post and seems to be the Sicilian Buttercup. The funny thing about her too is that she likes to fly up into the lower branches of a small oak tree and peck at the leaves. She is also the one that always sits on the edge of the pots holding our lilac bushes.
DSC_6991_upload.jpg

DSC_6992_upload.jpg

Now, here is one that is quite similar, but has the leaden blue legs, hopefully there is a good enough look at her comb to tell. It seems like the rose comb to me.

DSC_6995_upload.jpg

The one that has been difficult to identify between Polish and Houdan, seems to be a Polish because she only has four toes. I didn't think so because we have several White Crested Polish and they look similar to the one here, a very green sheen to their feathers. The mottled one is just straight black and clearly doesn't have very much white on her head.

DSC_6997_upload.jpg

Here are a couple of my favorites though!

DSC_6998_upload.jpg

DSC_7000_upload.jpg

Miss willow green looks to be a Sicilian Buttercup.

I think miss leaden blue has a rose comb, which would make her a Golden Penciled Hamburg (or if she develops a single comb then she's a Golden Campine).

Four toes per foot would make miss top hat a White Crested Black Polish.

Now WHAT is that last picture you posted last night??? I can't find anything like it in the McMurray catalog!
tongue.png

Thanks jkitsmiller! This has been a lot of fun!!! BTW, a friend of mine got some Sicilian Buttercup hens from McMurray and they layed pale brown eggs (so for the longest time my friend didn't think they were laying because she was expecting white eggs). They were also very good summer layers. I have a hen that is out of one of her SB hens and a EE x RIR rooster. She's a very small bird, weighing 3-4#. But she is still an excellent layer producing 4 or 5 extra-large brown eggs/week.
big_smile.png

Quote:
The bottom one is a Cream Brabanter. She might be our favorite. I got her from a breeder around Bastrop, TX. We call her Don-Don because she has a Don King hairdo!
smile.png

Again, thank you to everyone that helped identify all our chickens. We have a total of about 25 and have lots of different breeds - they are fun to look at and fun to be around.

BTW, does everyone train their chickens to come when called? We call (kind of a quick and high pitched chick-chick-chick-chick, herrrrrre chick-chick-chick-chick) them to feed them and they come running, I mean the kind of running where they lean forward and run! They now come running by us simply opening the back door!

Quote:
The bottom one is a Cream Brabanter. She might be our favorite. I got her from a breeder around Bastrop, TX. We call her Don-Don because she has a Don King hairdo!
smile.png

Again, thank you to everyone that helped identify all our chickens. We have a total of about 25 and have lots of different breeds - they are fun to look at and fun to be around.

BTW, does everyone train their chickens to come when called? We call (kind of a quick and high pitched chick-chick-chick-chick, herrrrrre chick-chick-chick-chick) them to feed them and they come running, I mean the kind of running where they lean forward and run! They now come running by us simply opening the back door!

I Didnt know that Brabanter came non-bearded.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom