Breeds in Pepper...?

Four year old Pepper...curious to know what breeds could be in her.
Comb is like a rose comb. Shanks are clean; slate, skin colour is yellow. Pretty small bird, was black and white as a chick. Her eyes are brown.
Originally thought she was a Jersey Giant, but of course comb is wrong.
She's a bit flighty, so I don't have great photos.

- I'd rather not hear "she's a cross-breed" - I know this. Just looking for ideas as to what might be in her.

I don't need definites, any ideas are welcome.

I hatched three of her children. One of the cockerels had a white & black feather in his tail, but was otherwise ginger and black.(like one I'd expect to find in a Colombian pattern). The father was pure Buff Orp, so it didn't come from his line.

Oh, and @MGG, this is Pepper.

Nice lookin hen!

She’s a mixed breed.
Silence!
OHR's Pepper is superior.
Where did you get her? Could be a purebred black wyandotte.

You should post pictures of her chicks. :D
Thanks, was just about to tag you.
Now I did actually consider Black Wyandotte. She has the right skin colour.
I'll look for photos of her offspring...it was a few years ago, and none lived very long lives. That's another story.

Her comb doesn't quite seem completely rose. And the son that had an odd white tail feather - I assumed it was her genes.

Those are super rare and I’ve only seen pics of bantams. Plus that comb has some single-like spikes.
If you look up “blue wyandotte” you’ll find they’re commonly sold by hatcheries. Blue x blue produces 25% black chicks. I’ve seen multiple posts about blue and black wyandottes that people got from feed stores. The comb could easily be because she’s hatchery quality.
She's pretty! Not a pure Wyandotte, they have yellow legs. What color is her skin?
I agree, I think part Australorp. Maybe 1/4 Australorp?
Hatchery wyandottes may have darker legs. However, depending on where she’s from, it’s probably more likely she’s a mixed breed.

Last edited:
Pepper says she is a cat not a chicken!

Attachments

• 7C3D8D82-ADE1-430C-8894-376D6A1C3035.png
    7C3D8D82-ADE1-430C-8894-376D6A1C3035.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 16
If you look up “blue wyandotte” you’ll find they’re commonly sold by hatcheries. Blue x blue produces black chicks. I’ve seen multiple posts about blue and black wyandottes that people got from feed stores. The comb could easily be because she’s hatchery quality.

Hatchery wyandottes may have darker legs. However, depending on where she’s from, it’s probably more likely she’s a mixed breed.
It's definitely a good guess.

I will say that I live in Ireland, and we get few exotic breeds here. Majority of people have RSL. SLW is about as exotic as we get.

I got four other chicks alongside her. I have one of them left. A pure LS.

I will quickly dig around and try to find some photos. Of her children or her.
I took hardly any photos, and most are super blurry. But I'll find them.

If you look up “blue wyandotte” you’ll find they’re commonly sold by hatcheries. Blue x blue produces black chicks. I’ve seen multiple posts about blue and black wyandottes that people got from feed stores. The comb could easily be because she’s hatchery quality.

Blue X Blue produces 25% black, 25% splash, and 50% blue though.
I think she's definitely some kind of mix.

Right... Prepare to be photo spammed.
First photo are the group of chicks I bought from a shady guy.
Pepper is the far right. She had a small amount of white but lost it quickly.
LS is on the left. I believe the other three were a Leghorn, a Barred Cochin and another Cochin. They died as chicks.

Second photo are Pepper's children.
Third is the single comb cockerel.
Fourth is the rose combed cockerel.
Last is the single combed pullet.
I apologize profusely for the bad photos.
More to follow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-213521.png
    Screenshot_20201002-213521.png
    921.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20201002-213625.png
    Screenshot_20201002-213625.png
    860.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20201002-213633.png
    Screenshot_20201002-213633.png
    783.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20201002-213639.png