Breeds in Pepper...?

Pics

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
Four year old Pepper...curious to know what breeds could be in her.
Comb is like a rose comb. Shanks are clean; slate, skin colour is yellow. Pretty small bird, was black and white as a chick. Her eyes are brown.
Originally thought she was a Jersey Giant, but of course comb is wrong.
She's a bit flighty, so I don't have great photos.

- I'd rather not hear "she's a cross-breed" - I know this. Just looking for ideas as to what might be in her.

I don't need definites, any ideas are welcome.

I hatched three of her children. One of the cockerels had a white & black feather in his tail, but was otherwise ginger and black.(like one I'd expect to find in a Colombian pattern). The father was pure Buff Orp, so it didn't come from his line.

Oh, and @MGG, this is Pepper.

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_141138.jpg
    IMG_20201002_141138.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201002_141123.jpg
    IMG_20201002_141123.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191002_124231~2.jpg
    IMG_20191002_124231~2.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 25
She’s a cross-breed.

Nah.. I’m just pulling your leg :gig

Her face shape and color makes me think there’s probably some australorp in there somewhere.
You are let off because you own very cute Orpington chicks.

You could be right. Australorp & JG were two I thought she was originally, but I decided she was JG due to the skin colour.
She could well be partly Aussie.

Where did you get her? Here are a few possibilities I came up with...

She is a sex link mix of a dominique hen (rose comb), and a black or blue rooster.

She is a sex link mix of a barred rock hen, and a blue or black wyandotte rooster.

She is a sex link mix of a dominique hen and a blue or black wyandotte rooster.

She is a mix of blue or black wyandotte, and a solid black, blue, or lavender chicken (orpington, australorp, or jersey giant possibly.)

She is actually a pure wyandotte. Blue wyandottes and are found in hatcheries and feed stores, and black chicks result from blue breeding, so she could be one of those black chicks. This is also why in the above possibilities, I said her parents could be blue.

The reason I think her parents are solid (or barred) is because she has no leakage of any other color or pattern.

Where did you get her? Here are a few possibilities I came up with...

She is a sex link mix of a dominique hen (rose comb), and a black or blue rooster.

She is a sex link mix of a barred rock hen, and a blue or black wyandotte rooster.

She is a sex link mix of a dominique hen and a blue or black wyandotte rooster.

She is a mix of blue or black wyandotte, and a solid black, blue, or lavender chicken (orpington, australorp, or jersey giant possibly.)

She is actually a pure wyandotte. Blue wyandottes and are found in hatcheries and feed stores, and black chicks result from blue breeding, so she could be one of those black chicks. This is also why in the above possibilities, I said her parents could be blue.

The reason I think her parents are solid (or barred) is because she has no leakage of any other color or pattern.
Did any of her chicks have a single comb? If yes, the she is probably not be possibility 3 or 5, because she would have single comb genes.

Back
Top Bottom