breeds of broody ducks ANYONE PLEASE!!!!

My Welsh Harlequin brooded successfully once, but never went broody again. Not sure why. One thing I have noticed is that ducks tend to not go broody until they are at least 2 years old, so don't give up on them too soon. The Rouens will likely brood though.

ok, i have just ordered some WH and some rouens, 4 WH and 2 rouens didnt have enough money to get all those ducklings lol. but i heard alot of wonderful things about WH ducks, that they are wonderful broodies and mothers and they are VERY!!! pretty, and lay tons of eggs. so every thing i have heard about WH liked better that the khakis so i switched.

I said earlier that i had a cayuga drake, well i dont any more it died, and i cried
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
and I'm very sad but oh well whats done is done right?
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
i just about banged my head against the wall too!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

I have 2 ducks, and want the eggs, but not ducklings! We live in the desert, and it is hard to keep up with their water needs. That being said, my female has been brooding for about 5 weeks now.... barely comes out to eat, and then right back in. We try keeping her out of the nest box by blocking it up, and that seems to just make her mad, and she stands by it, and quacks up a storm. Any ideas to break the broody spell?

Czech's_chicks :

Khaki...I've had many and all went broody.

well i have 1 Khaki Campbell male, 3 Rouen males, 1 Rouen female, and 1 Ancona female. and 1 male WH, 3 female WH and 2 female Rouens on the way from Metzer farms. I'm sooooo excited!!! they come in on August 8th!

Anyway.... I was planing on breeding 1 of those WH females (when they are ready) to the Khaki male so i can get some even better layers and hopefully broodier too.​

Quote:
well i have 1 Khaki Campbell male, 3 Rouen males, 1 Rouen female, and 1 Ancona female. and 1 male WH, 3 female WH and 2 female Rouens on the way from Metzer farms. I'm sooooo excited!!! they come in on August 8th!

Anyway.... I was planing on breeding 1 of those WH females (when they are ready) to the Khaki male so i can get some even better layers and hopefully broodier too.

does anyone think it will work?

Back
Top Bottom