Breeds that are good as pets

We spend a lot of time handling our chicks. (Kids are in 4H.) Some breeds don't ever seem to be real eager to be your "pet," no matter how much they've been handled. My son's favorite Golden Penciled Hamburg was held for about an hour a day for weeks. As soon as she was allowed to free-range with the others she decided she was over humans. It's very difficult to catch her, but once caught she's calm and patient in your arms.

Other breeds, like our polishes, practically jump right into your arms. They've been known to fly up to a shoulder, though most of them can't see well enough to do that. We did have one mean polish rooster. He was such a sweety as a chick, and even as a cockerel, but as soon as he "found" the hens he decided we were the enemy. He was handled LOTS, so who knows what happened there?!

One Cuckoo Maran rooster didn't get much handling as a chick, was sweet as anything as a cockerel, but recently decided he didn't like children. He's no longer free-ranging (for the kids' safety).

We do have a sweet rooster: our quiet Easter Egger Big 'Un. He was handled lots, and though he free-ranges with the hens he still lets us pick him up. No crowing yet. He's 9 months old.

Here are some pictures of our PET polish pullets: http://www.thesurisecret.com/PhotosFromFarm/Photos%20from%20the%20Farm.htm

Cheers,
Kate

Last edited:
I love my buff orpingtons and my cochin roo. They are all so sweet and gentle. My kids carry them all around and they are so tolerant of it..lol.

I would definitely recommend orps or cochins!

There are other breeds I have read about them being friendly, but I have never owned them or had experience with them!

Back
Top Bottom