Breeds that can handle RIRs

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
We have 2 rirs about 7 months old and 2 golden comets about 4 months old. The pecking order has been established, but the comets hide from the reds and spend a lot of the day in the coop.
I want to try to avoid a breed that will be bullied by reds but want a cuddly colorful egg layer. I've been looking at EEs, cream legbars, blue isbar, olive eggers, Wheaten Ameraucanas, brahmas, cuckoo marans or buff Orpingtons.
I'm planning on 4 more. I have 3 feeders and 3 waterers to avoid food and water territory issues.
The pecking was never overly aggressive but the reds like to chase the comets which seems to scare them into hiding.

It will work itself out - there's a big size disparity if your Comets are anything like mine.

Brahmas WILL get big, can certainly stand up for themselves, eventually, but they are very slow to grow - and since the RIR have half a year on them already, I anticipate you will experience with them what you already experience with the Comets, a rocky integration.

EEs and Olive Eggers are mutts. They tend to be around the same size as your Comets, again, size disparity, I'd expect similar integrations.

I've no personal experience with Orps or Marans to offer insight.

Give it time, space, and abundance, things will settle down.

Thanks!!! It has definitely settled a bit in the 2 weeks since we intergrated. I judt feel bad that the comets seem so scared. I keep reading they are suppose to be a friendly and cuddly breed and my rirs are friendlier and less flighty.

I don't handle any of my birds a lot, more important that they are predator aware as they free range than that they try to occupy my lap - they do follow me around (I'm the source of evening feedings.

So I'm absolutely the wrong resource on "friendly/cuddly", as that's not the purpose of my flock or, honestly, a great fit for my personality. I'm not a "people person". Other posters, with similar flock purposes to yours, will hopefully step in and provide additional experience.

I don't handle any of my birds a lot, more important that they are predator aware as they free range than that they try to occupy my lap - they do follow me around (I'm the source of evening feedings.

So I'm absolutely the wrong resource on "friendly/cuddly", as that's not the purpose of my flock or, honestly, a great fit for my personality. I'm not a "people person". Other posters, with similar flock purposes to yours, will hopefully step in and provide additional experience.
Ours aren't free ranged (neighbors are too close). They have a 5x10 critter proof run attached to the pop door and a 12x10ish day time run area off the people door.
I'm fine with these 4 not being cuddly but I would like 1 or 2 that like us lol.

I'm in FL, north of you, but grew up either end of the I-4 corridor - heat is something to keep in mind, but BR can do fine in it. Big prominent combs, clean legs, light colors all help. Only their relatively large body size is a caution for high heat, but its certainly manageable - as the continued health and happiness of my dark brahma, and my 11+# CornishX hen (one of my layers and breeders, if you'd believe it!) continue to attest to.

Last summer we had heat indexes at 110+ here on the property, day after day. Hit 115/16 twice, 118 once that I recall (mostly same week). Birds didn't enjoy it, but they had shade and cool soil to dust bathe in, they persisted without incident.

I keep reading they are suppose to be a friendly and cuddly breed and my rirs are friendlier and less flighty.
You created the dynamics going on.. once the comets come into their own they will be fine.. If you got them at the same time.. you would NOT be seeing the dynamics you are.

Yes Rocks are fine in Fl and also fine against Reds.. In fact my Silkies would stand up to reds.. it's all about introduction timing, and hormonal disparities what you are seeing right now.

Not pointing any fingers or trying to be ugly.. just being straight!

Younger groups ALWAYS form subordinate tribes and avoid the bigs. Make yourself a safe place to get protection from the reds and they'll run hop in your lap. Take time to gently pet them after they've settled down on roost in the evening or pick them up and handle them some. This is the easiest time to work with otherwise in-confident chickens in my experience.. NO chasing, keeping it dim, calm handling. NEVER put them down when freaking out, keep wings held down to back and body supported. Return to roost calmly having only a scary but not harmful experience.. associations/connections are made

Having your ars kicked as a juvenile tends to make one a little more nervous and withdrawn. It's having been to war and looking for shell still flying around you once you got home.. The threat may be gone but the memories remain.

The red are at a hormonal stage where they are quite confident right now. They are like teenagers dating and fighting for boys and the comets are like 5 year old's watching Sesame Street and playing barbies. For lack of a better reference in my brain right now.

Reds.. to me aren't "lovable", they're demanding.. Just like people think that puppy that says pet me is picking them.. sometimes yes, other times eh, it's just telling you what to do.. In the chicken world fear is equal to respect, different than in humans.

The comets can still come out of this.. you just need to set them up to have some confidence instilled back in.. which WILL happen SOME naturally once hormones start flowing.. Think about babies.. born without really any fear, they learn fear/boundaries, they overcome it and respect the order of things. :cool:

Set up some treat times with just you sitting on the ground and the comets so they can get familiar with you in a calmer setting! :fl

Sorry so long.. I love animals and people.. and this CAN work out the way you want it to! All my chickens have gone through snooty teen age phase as do ALL species across the board. Time is your friend here. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom