Breeds which produce less eggs?

After all, why keep 5 Leghorns when you can have 10 dual purpose?
Feed cost vs. return in eggs and meat.

ETA
Not to mention that 10 DP chickens will eat 3 times what 5 Leghorns will, require nearly 3 times the space and only produce the same number of eggs as half the number of Leghorns. Leghorns also come in at least 10 color variations.

Last edited:
Dorkings and Wyandottes are among the more productive breeds.
Perhaps this selection chart would help you decide.
Cochins, Brahmas and Silkies came to mind but the two former are not suited for particularly hot weather. |Silkies are very predator prone.
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

No kidding about the Silkies...I've termed mine "hawk bites" and have to keep them 24x7 locked in a netted personal pen...the second I let one out to free range...whoosh.

LofMc

My Silver Wyandottes were not great layers, and my Goldens were the most beautiful of all my chickens, but were by far the worst layers. Couldn't believe it when my slender little white leghorn laid for most of the winter, while the beautiful fat golden Wyandottes couldn't be bothered with laying.

Dorkings will lay every day in winter, then go broody in spring. I have 2 dorkings and once a week I get only one egg and not 2. So in 2 week a Dorking will lay 13 eggs in winter. I actually find them to be a great supplemental breed if your favorite breed doesn't lay in winter but never goes broody.

Back
Top Bottom