Breeds

ivyboo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 28, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
I am looking for opinions on a breed of duck. I had 1 khaki that lived with my chickens. She was always scared of us. Something had gotten into my coop and killed her a a chicken. I would now like to get 2 females. However, I can’t decide which breed. I want friendly and more of a quiet breed. My khaki was quiet mostly but could get vocal at times. That was fine.

I'm sure its partially the ducks and partially how they are raised, but my magpie and blue swedish are by far my friendliest ducks. We have runners, white layer, crested, swedish, magpie, had a khaki but lost to predator, mallards, magpie, etc. (Varied flock!). The magpie male and the swedish lady are the only ones that will eat from our hands and are super sweet. That being said, a swedish mix and my runners are super loud. But... if it says anything about how beloved our male magpie is, we just ordered a more magpie ducklings from a hatchery because we love him so much.

Blue Swedish are super sweet. Pekins are too but rather loud in my opinion. I love my Welsh Harlequins! They are more prone to being skiddish but raise them right and they are little dolls. Gorgeous girls and very quiet. My Alysbury is real gentle too-just a little loud. Most bantam breeds are noisy by the way. Hope you find some good ducks!

Back
Top Bottom