Breeds????

jlj1212

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Hello everyone!
Today we became the proud owners of 5 new babies! ( lady I nanny for got them from school where they to a life cycle lesson)
I think we have 2 buffs, 2 plymouth rocks and either a rhode island or an americana

I think we have two plymouth rocks ( first two black ones) and the third one is either a rhode island red or an americana ( they appear to look very similar for a period of life as a chick) and two buffs ( the last one we have two of, the other one was sleeping when I was taking pics so I didn't want to distriub her)
does that sounds right based on pics????

also when is best to introduce them to rest of our flock ? these babies are about 10 days old right now,
I built them a mini cage and left it in the run today with the chickens figuring it's the best way for the ladies to get used to them, we put them under a heat lamp in the garage tonight,
Thanks in advance for any advice!
:) :) :)

the third pic looks like a speckled sussex, and the first maybe an australorp or jersey giant?. i think it would be best to wait till they are around six weeks old to introduce them to the flock, by that age they will probably be able to defend themselves and they will be fully feathered and able to keep themselves warm. i hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
Where did the school get the eggs? Are you sure they are pure breeds and not mixes? If the school got pure eggs the first could be an Austrolorp but I can't see if it has a single comb. The second could be an Easter Egger. Are the legs green? Third and fourth look like generic red birds.

Where did the school get the eggs? Are you sure they are pure breeds and not mixes? If the school got pure eggs the first could be an Austrolorp but I can't see if it has a single comb. The second could be an Easter Egger. Are the legs green? Third and fourth look like generic red birds.
x2

Just so you know, I am working on putting 11 week old chicks with my existing flock and the head hen is having none of it. I have been working on them being visible but safely separated for weeks now whenever the weather is good and still the head hen wants to kill my 11 week old cockerel (and I would bet would move on through the rest of the babies afterward if left to it). Be prepared to not be able to put them together till the newbies are as big as the adult hens. I just had my bubble popped by some experienced members that told me I am too early to try it at 11 weeks old. I finally sectioned off 1/3 of the coop and made a makeshift run off their door (my coop has a door on both sides of the coop luckily) this week because I was sick of them in the brooder (and they were outgrowing it). This set up lets them see each other when the hens are in the coop for water and bed time. Also when I let one or the other group out for free range in the garden they can see each other through their respective fences. It is not ideal as it does not give quite enough face time unless I actively catch and put the chicks in a pen in the actual run. A lot of work blending ages.

Where did the school get the eggs? Are you sure they are pure breeds and not mixes? If the school got pure eggs the first could be an Austrolorp but I can't see if it has a single comb. The second could be an Easter Egger. Are the legs

green? Third and fourth look like generic red birds.

No green legs, school got them from a local farmer.

Back
Top Bottom