Bresse Chickens

Very cool! Have you found your Bresse to be sweet to the point of dorkish?
The hens were sweet--some of the boys were a bit aggressive but I can handle that!

Actually, it is good to a point in a flock because the need to protect the hens from danger.

I only have a single roo and, theyre all sweet as pie, i :love it but, i worry about a neighbors dog. Stupid boston terrier is askin for it. Ive talkd to two others who said theres were also sweet so im glad to get your take on it. Thanks again!

Thank You for your input RacinChickens! :highfive: that 5-6 months would put them still right there in april and i very much look forward to it! If they laid off after the first cycle then theyd be on the same page as my older production hens :) we can handle that. I intend to house them seperate for pure breeding so i will be able to monitor that for myself.

@ronott1 do you share this insight as well?

Thank You for your input RacinChickens!
highfive.gif
that 5-6 months would put them still right there in april and i very much look forward to it! If they laid off after the first cycle then theyd be on the same page as my older production hens
smile.png
we can handle that. I intend to house them seperate for pure breeding so i will be able to monitor that for myself.

@ronott1 do you share this insight as well?
Mine did lay well the second year too. Not as much as the first year but did not drop as much as hybrids.

Mine did lay well the second year too. Not as much as the first year but did not drop as much as hybrids.

Wow u came quick when i asked for you! Thank you so much!

Do your hens have an expiration date? Im thinking ill be able to replace with hatchlings, so why not eat em, or sell em (ethically with full disclosure) once they lay off?

Wow u came quick when i asked for you! Thank you so much!

Do your hens have an expiration date? Im thinking ill be able to replace with hatchlings, so why not eat em, or sell em (ethically with full disclosure) once they lay off?
The plan is to process the hens after year three.

I have a pressure canner now so will start that process soon.

This person had a first egg at 20 weeks:

This bresse pullet has has laid an egg 5 days in a row now, teeny tiny little bantam sized eggs, but she's quite the layer. Pretty good for a duel purpose breed. Hopefully the eggs will get larger as time goes by.

I have Bielefelder and Bielefelder x Cream Legbar. They don't lay that much. The Bresse seems to be good layer.

Back
Top Bottom