Bresse Chickens

Pics
So are the American Bresse as good? Are they the same line birds as they have in France?

All the American birds come from Stock imported by Greenfire Farms. You can go to their website and read their info on them. You can make up your own mind on whether you think the birds are actually French line or not.

My birds are only about 8 weeks old, so I don't have anything so far to add except that they are red, white, and blue just like they are supposed to be. They are growing very well and are eating machines. Seem to be very hardy, and not difficult to work with so far. We'll see how it goes when the boys realize they are boys.

I know the generalities of growing them the French way, but is there a place that I can find detailed instructions for how to do it properly?

well, the EXACT part of what they do is not common knowledge ( exact diet, etc) It also involves caponisation for a lot of the birds and that, depending on your state, will be frowned upon or illegal.

They are raised semi free range ( I don't remember the min space per bird but that you can find) with access to grass and bugs until they are close to market ( this will depend on what type of bird it is, capon, rooster, hen) They are then penned in a low light area for 2 weeks? or 2 months, I never remember, im guessing weeks, and fed a diet of whole grains soaked in milk to tenderise the meat and fatten them up. After that they are processed leaving the feet on.

But, the exact diet is not publicly discussed. Nor is the ratio of free ranging. If you see the videos, you can get an idea, but i'm not thinking they eat a ton of grass.

I think it is 8 weeks pastured and 4 in captivity (for the fattening). That's about the extent of the info you can find. I have run across space requirements, but cannot remember off the top of my head. As for the caponisation, I will check my states logistics on that, but thanks and thanks for any further info anyone can give.

I think it is 8 weeks pastured and 4 in captivity (for the fattening). That's about the extent of the info you can find. I have run across space requirements, but cannot remember off the top of my head. As for the caponisation, I will check my states logistics on that, but thanks and thanks for any further info anyone can give.

I believe the slaughter age is pretty strictly controlled at 120 days in France. They are put out on pasture as early as possible, which is 3-4 weeks of age, I think. They are required to have a minimum of 10 square feet per bird in the pasture, and they remain there until the last 30 days, at which time they are put into wooden crates in low light to reduce their level of activity during that time so that those muscles that were built up foraging relax and become more tender, then fed a diet strictly of grain and dairy to put on additional weight with fat distribution throughout the meat of the bird. I don't know the specific laws in the individual states regarding caponization.

Thanks so much. That is very helpful. I will do some more research to find out about more specifics.

Cottagefarmgirl,
If you have gone to our site and searched Bresse, you should find most of what your looking for...if you don't (it's been awhile since we posted that information), email us and we will send you the "regimen" for traditional French methods...we have it somewhere...
lol.png

Brice @ SF

I believe the slaughter age is pretty strictly controlled at 120 days in France. They are put out on pasture as early as possible, which is 3-4 weeks of age, I think. They are required to have a minimum of 10 square feet per bird in the pasture, and they remain there until the last 30 days, at which time they are put into wooden crates in low light to reduce their level of activity during that time so that those muscles that were built up foraging relax and become more tender, then fed a diet strictly of grain and dairy to put on additional weight with fat distribution throughout the meat of the bird. I don't know the specific laws in the individual states regarding caponization.
I'm almost positive that roosters hens and capons have different ages for processing. I think you are quoting rooster ages. I KNOW capons are older, that is why you bother to do it, older and still tender.

As for out on pasture, if you look at the pictures of the places in france, the pasture does not seem to be grass pasture ( or at least it did not to me) You will see them being let out into very very large dirt areas that have feeders. However, it is possible they get moved as well.

Back
Top Bottom