Bresse Chickens

Pics
Originally Posted by ronott1

Quote:
Crele Penedesenca X Cream Legbar from Deanne (@juststruttin ). That was the all pullet hatch LOL.

You must have the hatching touch; all girls and lovely coloring of the shells.
I am missing hatching right now. I am waiting to start hatching Pita Pintas and then I should be able to start hatching eggs for the guy that keeps my Roosters.

I to expect to have an all male hatch at some point. The scales need to balance....

big_smile.png
THe law of numbers . . .

My eggs are light cream dark cream and speckles. Occationaly I get a white egg. But my mfl lays a cream egg too no one lays a really white egg
I can not remember what color the eggs I set were, but certainly do not remember them being this dark. I imagine they will get lighter as they get bigger. I will be interesting. I will take a photo later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bayocum

Here's the egg I was referring to on top:

Both are from our Bresse pullets. This is the first time I've seen an egg of this color.

I have eggs just like that from my Bresse pullets as well......
The shape and color is typical for a lot of meat Breeds.

Hi All-

I last posted on this thread back in June, there sure has been an uptick in activity since then! My husband and I have been raising this breed since January 2012. We started out with 4 breeding pairs/trios from GF. We were total beginners with hatching and breeding, so it has been a bumpy ride at times, but we have finally built up a pretty good flock in the limited space we have at the moment.

I want to weigh in with our experience on some of the questions that I've seen come up in the thread, but first I want to share some photos from our trip to France last September. I would have posted them earlier, but I had mislaid the memory card and only just rediscovered it the other day.

We did get to visit the Bresse region, but only had about a day and a half there, so didn't see as much as we would have liked. We stayed in the town of St. Germain-du-Bois where the Museum of Agricultural History is located and then visited the ancient poultry/farmer's market in the town of Louhans (http://www.bresse-bourguignonne.com/discovery.../fairs-and-markets-2-73.htm.)

This is in Paris:

The market sign in Louhans:

Stand selling roasted Bresse:

The writing is hard to see, the case on the left has larger birds for 26 euros each and the one on the right has smaller ones for 18 euros each. We bought one of the smaller ones to eat for lunch. It was good, but didn't blow me away. Honestly, the ones we have raised and roasted here have been better!

Other side of the stand selling raw birds with the heads still attached:

There were also a lot of stands selling live birds of many varieties, but surprising to us, not that many were offering Bresse

Here are the few that we did find:

Sorry these aren't better shots of the birds, I wish I had commandeered the camera!

We also found this one in the supermarket in St Germain-du-Bois:

Not sure if that is 8.90 euros per kg or for the whole bird. Anyway, much cheaper than the 17 euros per kg for the bird in the Paris market.

The tourist office in Louhans had some good books and brochures that we picked up, including one with a list of Bresse producers that you could visit to buy directly from the farm, but we didn't have any luck with that. We drove around trying to find a couple to no avail and the one we did find was closed. Oh well, maybe it's a seasonal thing. We would definitely like to go back with more time to spend in just the Bresse region.

Wonderful wonderful pictures!! THank you for sharing these photos of your trip.

I suspect that you don't see any live Bresse for sale because that protects the stock and helps to keep them exclusive.

I have started leaving on the heads of my birds until the point of putting them in the pan. IT is strictly a matter of convenience as seeing the head "wigs me out" and generally makes me feel uncomfortable. Legs come off asap, as they too make me uncomforable still on the bird. In the pictures above, I don't see any leggs. . . or are they just hidden by the layout of the display??

Wonderful wonderful pictures!! THank you for sharing these photos of your trip.

I suspect that you don't see any live Bresse for sale because that protects the stock and helps to keep them exclusive.

I have started leaving on the heads of my birds until the point of putting them in the pan. IT is strictly a matter of convenience as seeing the head "wigs me out" and generally makes me feel uncomfortable. Legs come off asap, as they too make me uncomforable still on the bird. In the pictures above, I don't see any leggs. . . or are they just hidden by the layout of the display??
Looks to me like there is a foot to the right of the bird, so I would assume the leg is tucked up under the bird.

OH, I can see it-- to the right of the head, well, the head is on the two feet in the last photo. I swear my monitor darkens all photos and obliterates much of hte content. Highlighting the photo as if to copy lightens the tones and THEN I can see the feet. OTherwise they just look like shadows.

So thanks for pointing them out.

Back
Top Bottom