Bresse Chickens

Pics
BRice, I like how you think . . . and that you think . . . . .I would have the same question . . .

OFten a preference is simply a bias; an experience that forged the attachment for a particular bird. FOr example I grew up with ONLY brown eggs. In my early 20's I saw a white egg and thought it strange, like it wasn't even an egg. I needed brown eggs to cook and eat. WHile I do find this a bit comical now, I better understand how people develop brand loyalty. Logic doesn't enter into the formula. lol And these days? I have a wide variety of egg colors: the more the merrier. ANd I do want to add white as I don't have that yet.

So does a black bresse taste better than a white?? That is the benefit of a taste test using a professional panel.

BRice, I like how you think . . . and that you think . . . . .I would have the same question . . .

OFten a preference is simply a bias; an experience that forged the attachment for a particular bird. FOr example I grew up with ONLY brown eggs. In my early 20's I saw a white egg and thought it strange, like it wasn't even an egg. I needed brown eggs to cook and eat. WHile I do find this a bit comical now, I better understand how people develop brand loyalty. Logic doesn't enter into the formula. lol And these days? I have a wide variety of egg colors: the more the merrier. ANd I do want to add white as I don't have that yet.

So does a black bresse taste better than a white?? That is the benefit of a taste test using a professional panel.
I bet they taste like chicken...
wink.png

To be serious, a lot does depend on how they are raised, age, cooking technique and etc.

I like Black chickens and do not mind the ones with white skin.

I recently finished a great book, "The Bucolic Plague." In it, the author discussed the concepts of stories and truth. As a former ad-agent turned gentleman farmer, he shared that he came to realize the "truth" in a story has a lot to do with people's experience, perspective, tastes, etc. At the end of the day, when it comes to sharing one's story or experience, he said that truth is "nothing more than consistency of message." That seems to be a great perspective for a lot of the claims in the poultry world. When Ron says, "I bet it tastes like chicken," he couldn't be more right. And for the Bresse, there is an entire region committed to consistency of message. But when we talk about taste, what we're really talking about is the experience, which is made up of our stories, our experience, the experience of raising the bird, and all of our time and effort. These "ingredients" all mix together to make up a culinary experience, a taste of the "truth." That's why in my recent reflection on eating Bresse, I go through the whole experience that culminated in the "best tasting chicken in the world." It's not in any way an objective experience, and that's what makes it so wonderful.
Thanks all,
-Brice @ SF

I recently finished a great book, "The Bucolic Plague." In it, the author discussed the concepts of stories and truth. As a former ad-agent turned gentleman farmer, he shared that he came to realize the "truth" in a story has a lot to do with people's experience, perspective, tastes, etc. At the end of the day, when it comes to sharing one's story or experience, he said that truth is "nothing more than consistency of message." That seems to be a great perspective for a lot of the claims in the poultry world. When Ron says, "I bet it tastes like chicken," he couldn't be more right. And for the Bresse, there is an entire region committed to consistency of message. But when we talk about taste, what we're really talking about is the experience, which is made up of our stories, our experience, the experience of raising the bird, and all of our time and effort. These "ingredients" all mix together to make up a culinary experience, a taste of the "truth." That's why in my recent reflection on eating Bresse, I go through the whole experience that culminated in the "best tasting chicken in the world." It's not in any way an objective experience, and that's what makes it so wonderful.
Thanks all,
-Brice @ SF
Great post Brice!

I will read your essay soon.

Quote:
That is probably where I read that, and I am sorry for the imprecision and/or exaggeration of it. That was NOT my intent.

That is probably where I read that, and I am sorry for the imprecision and/or exaggeration of it. That was NOT my intent.
Didn't take it that way at all…just wondering if you had stumbled on to a "new" source information that would support their experience. No need for apology…we love the conversation.

I also can't tell you where I sourced the back breese = no different enzymes info. I have it copied on my breese info page where I put recipes and interesting fits but I didn't put a Web address with it and could not find it again. And it was translated by Google from French so I can't put the quote into find it again.

Quote:

Quote: I love to cook, and small changes make a more lucious experience. FOr example using fresh herbs over dried; adding wines, red or white. THe flavors are richer. Having said this, other contributors to the flavor is what the bird has been eating. I am convinced this is what separates a good chicken from a great chicken. However I don't know what those feed ingredients are, other than the clues provided in the finishing of the traditional bresse. I was led to this conclusion when I ate a BBW turkey that I had raised using commercial pelleted feed, and it tasted just like a commercial bird from the grocery. Wasn't THAT disappointing! But it kept me thinking for years-- why. My current turkeys free range and can eat a lot of green grass and what ever else they please, including pellets= the flavor is better.

Sat down with DH last night to work out a plan to increase the amt of pasture area. THe primary goal is to clear more of the 20 foot trees-- trading in shade for sun and windy. AND more clover, etc.

Back
Top Bottom