Bresse Chickens

Pics
One of my Bresse is laying almost white eggs. They are tinted so light that they appear white next to the other Bresse eggs. It is only when I put them next to a true white egg can I see they have a slight tint.
I'm thinking of not setting those eggs because Bresse should lay brown eggs, even though egg color is waayy down the priority list of what to look for in these birds.

What is your opinion, set or eat the eggs?

I like the white shiny ones. People go nuts over the spotted eggs. The darkwr ones are a bit meh to me.

I think clovis has lighter genes the next gen girls are mostly light with a few freckles.

I have quite a few pullets and their egg color varies from a cream to a medium brown. One thing to keep in mind is that the Bresse that Greenfire imported came from multiple flocks and these are not chickens that are raised for commercial egg laying (with the exception of the black ones). So the egg color is going to vary.

I am actually focusing on leg color and bird size this year with my Bresse flock. I was going to work on egg color next year, but have since decided against that as my customers like the varying shades of cream/tint. Throw in some Cream Legbar eggs and now you have a pastel collection of eggs.
I only have 5 pullets, and it seems to me that a single chicken's eggs can vary in color from day to day. Some days I will get 4-5 beautiful cream colored eggs. Other days a couple of the eggs will be speckled or darker in color. My first set is going into the incubator tomorrow.

I have quite a few pullets and their egg color varies from a cream to a medium brown.  One thing to keep in mind is that the Bresse that Greenfire imported came from multiple flocks and these are not chickens that are raised for commercial egg laying (with the exception of the black ones).  So the egg color is going to vary.

I am actually focusing on leg color and bird size this year with my Bresse flock.  I was going to work on egg color next year, but have since decided against that as my customers like the varying shades of cream/tint.  Throw in some Cream Legbar eggs and now you have a pastel collection of eggs.

Funny you say that. I have cream legbar eggs ready to go in the bator with the Bresse eggs.

Good luck everyone on your hatches. I candled mine last night and only found 6 out of 40 had not developed. Considering that most of the eggs were developed during major snowstorms and single digit weather, I feel lucky.

Good luck everyone on your hatches.  I candled mine last night and only found 6 out of 40 had not developed.  Considering that most of the eggs were developed during major snowstorms and single digit weather, I feel lucky.
That's great! when are they due to hatch? I am putting mine in the incubator today after I gather the last of today's eggs along with a few Marans.

That's great! when are they due to hatch? I am putting mine in the incubator today after I gather the last of today's eggs along with a few Marans.
I have 3 incubators full of chicken eggs hatching this weekend but the incubator with all the Bresse is set for April 1st. I am thinking of setting another batch of Bresse as soon as one of the other incubators is empty but I am not sure I will have any empty brooders.

Here are pics of my Bresse. I have a quad right now. They are 4 1/2 months old now. They are filling out nicely! Not going to eat these ones, so I'm not doing the cereal grain/milk feeding.
Thank you @chiqita

Back
Top Bottom