Bresse Chickens

Pics
I also have in there 8 really black  dark copper marans eggs and 4 SBEL's.  So far this am it looks like two of the breese have hatched out.  I love a varied egg basket.
Good luck to you on your hatching.

Congrats!! Mine must be getting anxious....I used a flashlight last night to peep in...and one of the eggs was really moving about.....hopefully to get in proper hatching position. Friday is day 21.

I've got 26 Bresse eggs that go into lockdown tonight. Started with 28, so very happy with how many made it this far. This will be my first hatch of pure Bresse eggs from my own birds. Also have 7 Cream Legbar eggs going too.

I've got 26 Bresse eggs that go into lockdown tonight. Started with 28, so very happy with how many made it this far. This will be my first hatch of pure Bresse eggs from my own birds. Also have 7 Cream Legbar eggs going too.
These are my first Bresse eggs as well....along with the Marans. I started with 42, and 36 went into lockdown. I am surprised to be perfectly honest with the cold weather, but I'm not sure how low the temps can go and the eggs remain viable. I really looking forward to hatching out and raising these wonderful meat birds.

Only one bresse hatched from my original hatch, but I have 11 more in the incubator that are looking good - one week to go! I also won a rarebreed auction and my new babies arrived yesterday: 2 white, 5 black, 2 splash and 5 blue!!! Can't wait to see how these guys turn out.

Hatched my first bresse chicks the other day! They were shipped eggs from chiqita and of 8 sent 5 developed and 5 went into lockdown, 4 hatched!
jumpy.gif
I am surprised they did so well considering the post office had jostled them enough that several had detached air cells and most developed saddle shaped air sacks!

Second set I got from her faired better in shipping and 6 of 7 developed and 6 went into lockdown yesterday!

So happy with the development/hatch rate that I went ahead and claimed more of chiqita's bresse eggs on the swap yesterday! Don't tell my husband.
hide.gif

These must be some tough, hearty birds for even the eggs to fair so well!

Hatched my first bresse chicks the other day! They were shipped eggs from chiqita and of 8 sent 5 developed and 5 went into lockdown, 4 hatched!
jumpy.gif
I am surprised they did so well considering the post office had jostled them enough that several had detached air cells and most developed saddle shaped air sacks!

Second set I got from her faired better in shipping and 6 of 7 developed and 6 went into lockdown yesterday!

So happy with the development/hatch rate that I went ahead and claimed more of chiqita's bresse eggs on the swap yesterday! Don't tell my husband.
hide.gif

These must be some tough, hearty birds for even the eggs to fair so well!
Congrats!! Don't worry......I won't tell.....
gig.gif

My very first Bresse hatched a little while ago, and is still drying. It is neat to see that very first one, especially when it's from your own eggs. It must have been anxious to come into the world, because I have no other pips yet.....except for a BCM that pipped on wrong end and died. There is a good bit of rocking going on in the incubator, so I am anxiously waiting for more activity!

My first set of my own Bresse are pipping now! Just looked at the eggs and at least 5 had external pips. But one of my legbars was first out of the shell this hatch, a pretty little female. Cant wait to see some little yellow fluffy butts join her.

Does anyone know how to sex Bresse? Mine are about 11 weeks now and I'm starting to think that out of the 14 I have left only 3 are female.
Can you post some pics of them? I have been able to sex mine easily by 10 weeks. The pullets do have bigger, redder combs than my other breeds at that age but the cockerels combs are easily twice the size.

Can you post some pics of them? I have been able to sex mine easily by 10 weeks. The pullets do have bigger, redder combs than my other breeds at that age but the cockerels combs are easily twice the size.

Thank you for your help. Here are pictures of the ones that would stay still...

Back
Top Bottom