Bresse Chickens

Pics
Top and bottom pics are roos, and the middle one in the second photo is a roo.
I agree with this.
smile.png

From what I gather no one has "taste tested" a Bresse yet.......we are going to finish our flock out on bagels milk, corn mash for three weeks then do a taste test.

I'm curious if they live up to their hype.

From what I gather no one has "taste tested" a Bresse yet.......we are going to finish our flock out on bagels milk, corn mash for three weeks then do a taste test.

I'm curious if they live up to their hype.
We've been eating ours for a couple of months now. They were not classically finished like you are planning. I've found that taste and tenderness are similar to our other heritage chickens (meaning...excellent). But they have a better, meatier carcass than any of the other breeds we have tried.

I'm hoping to take a couple of this springs batch and finish like you are planning.

I am about to process a couple of roos. And by me, I mean this nice farmer down the road. I can't process my own babies!!
The meat is really good. I processed a capon slip late last summer, 22 weeks old, I think. It weighed 4 1/2 pounds. I roasted it and it was delicious. It was not finished in any way. Just so you know there are some areas of the skin that is thicker and tough, but the flesh is outstanding. Here are some future meals at my house:

The others are Marans, so it will be interesting to compare the growth of them. I am quite sure the Bresse will outgrow the Marans.

No they are not meals. They are cute little babies that grow up and have to go away for a while but never come back. But magically chicken roasters appear in the freezer.

I am in denial of where my food comes from.

Back
Top Bottom