Bresse Chickens

Catalin,

I know you are a vet. Can you test them for coccidiosis? Bresse seem to be a little more vulnerable to it and that is the right age. Remember they don't always show signs like bloody poop.

I did test my flock earlier this spring, before I started hatching & brooding. They do have a minimal level of coccidia. These birds have not been in contact with my other birds, yet. Would a coccidial infection cause these sorts of symptoms?

I did test my flock earlier this spring, before I started hatching & brooding. They do have a minimal level of coccidia. These birds have not been in contact with my other birds, yet. Would a coccidial infection cause these sorts of symptoms?
Yes. I usually notice it by looking at their behavior first. If they seem sluggish, poof up their feathers, or are struggling to keep their eyes open, then it may be coccidiosis. If you have the ability to test them, it is a simple thing to correct. Corid will correct it in a few days. If you look on Corid's Canadian website they list several dosage levels for different outbreak (and preventative) treatments.

Hopefully I am wrong about coccidiosis. It can also be a sign of nutrition being off. But since coccidia live off of thiamine, adding extra nutrients or "Save-a-chick" can actually make the problem worse. So rule out coccidiosis first. Then move on to nutrition.

I have noticed that many of the European breeds that have recently been imported suffer with coccidia. But a lot of it depends upon the migratory nature of wild birds in your area. I know some breeders that even introduce dirt into their brooders to ease them into a proper level of coccidia in their system.

Has anyone had juvie birds (in particular, cockerels) that seem to have a hard time getting around? I have 2 10 week old's and they will take a few tentative steps, then sit down. I have checked them over and they have no obvious injuries. I'm assuming the issues are stemming from such fast growth, but I would rather them be able to move around more comfortably. They (and the rest of the birds they were hatched with = no problems with them) are being fed starter/grower.
I have not seen them lay down or take tentative steps but I do find that they have extremely large feet for their size which makes them seem clumsy in the teen stage. They do grow into their feet as they mature. They are kinda like golden retrievers in that respect.

They do not seem lethargic or have any other typical signs of coccidia. Plus, I have a Silkie in the mix so I am sure I would see symptoms in the others. Hopefully once they get out more they will get around better. They are significantly bigger than almost all of the other chicks - except the CCL cockerel which does not seem to be having the same problem. I have noticed that their feet are quite large for their size!

They do not seem lethargic or have any other typical signs of coccidia. Plus, I have a Silkie in the mix so I am sure I would see symptoms in the others. Hopefully once they get out more they will get around better. They are significantly bigger than almost all of the other chicks - except the CCL cockerel which does not seem to be having the same problem. I have noticed that their feet are quite large for their size!
That's good to hear. I always worry about coccidia. It kills so fast. But the problem is that Corid can cause development issues with some breeds of chicks, like Swedish Flower Hen. I don't think there has been a scientific study on it but enough breeders have experience it to warrant one. So it is always a toss-up: do you risk development issues with Corid if you suspect coccidia infection or do you let nature take its course and let the chicks develop a natural immunity? Not sure which is the right answer.

If you can rule out coccidia, then try changing the feed. Sometimes the feed is not mixed right. Purina just had a recall for their Homegrown brand. I am sure that happens more often than not. I personally feed Blue Seal Multiflock (the one for turkey and mixed poultry). But it can be hard to find and probably varies from area to area.

Keep us updated. I am sure they will be fine. They grow so fast but are generally very healthy.

I feed Poulin (a more local brand to VT) which I have never had a problem with. I was afraid that these birds were suffering from a vit d deficiency. They don't have typical signs of ricketts, however.

I have been looking into getting some White Bresse, has the price come down on them?, What is the going price for eggs/chicks??

I have been looking into getting some White Bresse, has the price come down on them?, What is the going price for eggs/chicks??
It depends upon the area. Maryland/Virginia 10 each day old. Eggs are $4 each. Probably if you bought 100+, you could get them for $6 each.

Back
Top Bottom