Bresse Chickens

For those of you who have processed these birds how old were they when you processed them and how did they compare weight wise and taste with other meat birds you've had in the past??
I did 8 birds around 25 or 26 weeks. They varied from 4.2 up to 4.9 lbs. Much nicer carcasses than my other heritage breeds.

Here are 2 Bresse and a Brahma/Polish cross. The cross is in the middle. All are the same age.

We have since eaten several and think they are very nice eating birds. My girls also lay like crazy too. 5-6 a week each.

Last edited:
We just processed 10 roosters. They were 15 weeks. The plan was to wait 16 weeks but someone offered to process them for me so I jumped on the opportunity. We BBQ'd a couple for Memorial Day and they were absolutely delicious.

How large were they at this age?

I did 8 birds around 25 or 26 weeks. They varied from 4.2 up to 4.9 lbs. Much nicer carcasses than my other heritage breeds.

Here are 2 Bresse and a Brahma/Polish cross. The cross is in the middle. All are the same age.

We have since eaten several and think they are very nice eating birds. My girls also lay like crazy too. 5-6 a week each.
Thank you, this is more like the time frame I was looking for.

Make sure you keep that little nephew of mine away from that door. You should not open the incubator past lockdown to keep the humidity steady. Fingers crossed for a good hatch.

Where is the webcam for the hatch?
I'm sorry - Mr. Dickey did not offer a web cam option, perhaps I should have gone with an R-Comm?
wink.png
Honestly, I probably could set up a laptop cam on it, but lighting under the third tray is very less than optimal. Not sure if I can steal some DC off the incubator to run some leds (gears turning)... That big glass door really calls for some better interior lighting...

I'm sorry - Mr. Dickey did not offer a web cam option, perhaps I should have gone with an R-Comm?
wink.png
Honestly, I probably could set up a laptop cam on it, but lighting under the third tray is very less than optimal. Not sure if I can steal some DC off the incubator to run some leds (gears turning)... That big glass door really calls for some better interior lighting...
That's ok. But pictures of the hatched chicks are mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom