Bresse Chickens

Hello. I got some 5 Bresse chicks (2 cockerels, 3 pullets) about 6 weeks ago, for breeding meaties. I've been running them with my Buff Orpingtons and have been pleasantly surprised that their dispositions are similar, though more laid back. Such friendly and laid back birds! They've really become one of my favorites. I'm eager to see how well they lay, as I may expand them for my dual purpose flock. If I'm going to eat extra cockerels, I may as well eat the best!

@Chiquita

Have you noticed a disproportionately larger number of pullets in your Bresse hatches?  I did a head count of my 16 chicks that have hatched so far and only 3 of them are cockerels!  I thought the number of cockerels was a little higher initilly, but it isn't.  I am going to be interested to see the numbers of the rest of my hatches.  I have 40 eggs under 4 broodies right now.

I did get a lot of girls last year. This year my hatches have been a bit wild all boys.. all girls... nothing 50/50.

And yes danger dicky! Danger!!

I did get a lot of girls last year. This year my hatches have been a bit wild all boys.. all girls... nothing 50/50.

And yes danger dicky! Danger!!
hide.gif
Don't say I did not warn you that the Dickey was dangerous!! Its crazy, put 288 eggs in and 288 chicks come out. Danger Danger Mrs. Moriarty!

My 12 Bresse chicks came home from school today. They are 3 weeks old today. We set 15 eggs May 3rd. One failed to develop, one developed but failed to hatch. And one hatched and failed to thrive. The rest are strong and healthy and so so friendly. They came home to hatch over Memorial Day weekend and then went back to school for the last three weeks.

This is my first time with Bresse - any advice? I bought caponizing tools. Do I dare? Is it really advantageous? Do you butcher before the boys begin to crow anyway? What do you advise?

My 12 Bresse chicks came home from school today. They are 3 weeks old today. We set 15 eggs May 3rd. One failed to develop, one developed but failed to hatch. And one hatched and failed to thrive. The rest are strong and healthy and so so friendly. They came home to hatch over Memorial Day weekend and then went back to school for the last three weeks.

This is my first time with Bresse - any advice? I bought caponizing tools. Do I dare? Is it really advantageous? Do you butcher before the boys begin to crow anyway? What do you advise?

Learning to caponise is a messy dangerous process. You will kill some chicks. My dh practiced on a deceses boy and decided he was not comfortable trying it on live birds.

Back
Top Bottom