Bresse Chickens

Well, I had something happen yesterday that I've never had before. One of my Bresse eggs hatched out a chick with feathered legs! The legs were darker than the Bresse are at hatch too. They are in a breeding pen, but I did catch one of my hens in the adjoining pen with other hens and capons that were mixed Marans/Orpington. She had crossed a 12 foot high oak wall that separated horse stalls in another life. So, I am betting the one that occasionally tried to breed the hens was a slip. I didn't find any sign of regenerated testicle when I butchered them Memorial Day weekend. Must have overlooked it. It will be interesting to watch it grow out, though....1/2 Bresse, 1/4 Lavender Orpington, 1/4 Black Copper Marans.
ep.gif
What an amazing adventure Your Hen as been on!

Crazy teenagers anyway....Sneaking out for a bit of illicit love?

ep.gif

I'll say illicit......there wasn't supposed to be any testosterone in the adjoining pen. At least it wasn't my big fella.

Well, I had something happen yesterday that I've never had before. One of my Bresse eggs hatched out a chick with feathered legs! The legs were darker than the Bresse are at hatch too. They are in a breeding pen, but I did catch one of my hens in the adjoining pen with other hens and capons that were mixed Marans/Orpington. She had crossed a 12 foot high oak wall that separated horse stalls in another life. So, I am betting the one that occasionally tried to breed the hens was a slip. I didn't find any sign of regenerated testicle when I butchered them Memorial Day weekend. Must have overlooked it. It will be interesting to watch it grow out, though....1/2 Bresse, 1/4 Lavender Orpington, 1/4 Black Copper Marans.

@islandgirl348 Here is a chick that is not quite a week old:

Here is a chick not quite 2 weeks. You can see they are starting to change colors:

That should be interesting. You had such luck with your mix of Lav orp and marans. Keep us informed.
thumbsup.gif

ep.gif

I sure am glad that I wasn't selling eggs. We had already decided that we were going to put up a piece of welded wire fence above the oak wall. At least that pen is a maternity ward now.....but the rooster roosts on the top of that wall, then crosses over to visit the ladies in waiting. They don't look particularly amused with his interest.
gig.gif

I am trying to decide if these are all males. What do you think?????????? They are beefy with huge legs.

At least the roses keep them occupied with a good view. They complain about their digs all the time.

Last edited:

I am trying to decide if these are all males. What do you think?????????? They are beefy with huge legs.

At least the roses keep them occupied with a good view. They complain about their digs all the time.

One is definitely a cockerel. The other one appears to have a bit less comb, but more than an 11 week old pullet. So, I would say 2 cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom