Bresse Chickens

I have a 3x1 - but only have 8 hens...  As such was doing a partial tray a week and staging hatches (1 48 egg organizer per stage).  Hatch rates have been good so far - Fist stage had about 6 clears and 4 failures, Second stage was a few short had more like 8 clears and 6 failures (possible human error involved.  Laying was down do to heat, so 3rd stage only has 25 or so eggs (I did not check for clears).

My wife was debating doing another tray to sell some chicks (we had eggs collected) - but is focusing on visiting DCChicken next week.  Perhaps they are conspiring together to do an "eggxchange".  The AB roosters we have are not all that kid friendly.

The 3x1 with staged hatches works well with my 1x2 brooder/grow out.  Chicks get the heated brooder on week one, and then move down to growout levels.  We don't need much heat in Texas as it is over 80 at night now.  If it was a little cooler - I could put a lamp on the lower levels, but have not needed to.

How many chickens will fit in her car? I can send her home with some Bielefelders and Sulmtalers to keep the kids and Bresse you already have company.

I'm planning on it as soon as they start laying - I have the blue bresse mix from greenfire, so I have splash, black and blue. The blues are really gorgeous! They are almost 4 months old, so as soon as they start laying and I can confirm fertility, I'll be posting here.

I'm planning on it as soon as they start laying - I have the blue bresse mix from greenfire, so I have splash, black and blue. The blues are really gorgeous! They are almost 4 months old, so as soon as they start laying and I can confirm fertility, I'll be posting here.
Do you have pictures of your Blues (& Splash) to share?
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom