Bresse Chickens

You mention feeding fermented grains with milk. Do you mean using milk for the liquid base in the fermenting process. I already ferment laying pellets and scratch grains to feed my layers and meat birds. The meat birds have a different (better) taste than traditional feeding. (These are cull cockerels from breeding sexlink pullets for sale.)

You mention feeding fermented grains with milk. Do you mean using milk for the liquid base in the fermenting process. I already ferment laying pellets and scratch grains to feed my layers and meat birds. The meat birds have a different (better) taste than traditional feeding. (These are cull cockerels from breeding sexlink pullets for sale.)

So glad you said that. I have a 4 mo old gimpy white rock that never matured to crowing etc. I'm going to process him. Fermented feeds from day 3. Hope he tastes good. DD and Gson going on vacation this week and I'm going to be attempting the process as well as "attempting" to caponize the 6 males that are almost 8 weeks old. We'll see.

My only thought was feeding them fermented grains and add milk or yogurt to it. Right now they are getting protein from foraging and grains in the evening, but it will drop significantly when I put them up for a few weeks before butchering. I was thinking the dairy would boost that a bit.

So glad you said that. I have a 4 mo old gimpy white rock that never matured to crowing etc. I'm going to process him. Fermented feeds from day 3. Hope he tastes good. DD and Gson going on vacation this week and I'm going to be attempting the process as well as "attempting" to caponize the 6 males that are almost 8 weeks old. We'll see.

Good luck with the caponizing, Linda. Just take your time.....did you see the pic of the oviduct I posted on the Caponizing thread?

Yes I did, and I'm thinking I'll try it next. If I had extra females I'd do it this time. I figure I'll have some losses and I'll investigate and continue the process.

It's pretty easily visualized in the 12 weeker. When you see the ovary, which has the cauliflowery look you will see a white strip down below it at the back running toward the tail, which is the oviduct. The thing you have to watch out for is the blood vessels that run with it, so a pair of very small forceps to pick it up without getting hold of the blood vessels is a definite plus. Those recessed ear forceps are awesome for that because your hand doesn't get into your line of sight. I lift it up with the forceps, make a little hole in the connective tissue behind it, the grasp and lock it with a pair of hemostats. I let the forcept hang free outside the cavity, so the oviduct is elevated. Then you have two hands to finish loosening it up and dissecting it back as far s you can toward the ovary. once the upper end is loose, then use the hemostat to lift up and out of the abdominal cavity and cut it as far down as you can without damaging the intestines. And you're done.

It's pretty easily visualized in the 12 weeker. When you see the ovary, which has the cauliflowery look you will see a white strip down below it at the back running toward the tail, which is the oviduct. The thing you have to watch out for is the blood vessels that run with it, so a pair of very small forceps to pick it up without getting hold of the blood vessels is a definite plus. Those recessed ear forceps are awesome for that because your hand doesn't get into your line of sight. I lift it up with the forceps, make a little hole in the connective tissue behind it, the grasp and lock it with a pair of hemostats. I let the forcept hang free outside the cavity, so the oviduct is elevated. Then you have two hands to finish loosening it up and dissecting it back as far s you can toward the ovary. once the upper end is loose, then use the hemostat to lift up and out of the abdominal cavity and cut it as far down as you can without damaging the intestines. And you're done.

Saving this info and yes I bought the ear forceps on your recommendation.
lau.gif
Thanks for all your help Donna

Linda- I'm going to practice on the 26 straight run chicks I have, since well, I gotta learn.

This is interesting and a bit intimidating. Subscribed.

I missed the fact it's goat milk they use. It has a different protien structure and is easier for alot of animals to digest. I know chickens don't digest cow dairy at all interesting!

Ive been giving my 12 meat birds goats milk and scratch and crumbles everyday for 2 weeks..2 more weeks on it then process Sept 13th!! Ill let you know how it tastes..if its good then thats exactly what were doing for the bresse next year!! I have 5 freedom rangers and 7 marans roo on it now.

Chiqita!!! I finally got my roo!!! Little bugger just popped up out of the 5 chicks from the last hatch!!! Next year I am strictly only hatching bresse for the freezer..no new layers nothing!!! This way I can give the bresse all the green grass , extras extra extras;)

Back
Top Bottom