Bresse Chickens

I have a question maybe some people can help me out with. My Bresse are dumber than dirt. To train them to go into the coop, I may as well be trying to teach them calculus. With my other breeds, they usually learn in 2-3 days when put outside. With my Bresse, it can take them up to THREE WEEKS. When I shepherd them to the coop in the evening, they are unresponsive. Most chickens realize that when you push them with your foot that they are being prompted to move in the opposite direction. My Bresse don't get it. They stand there and are like, "Why are you moving me with your foot?" They don't flock together, so little cohorts of them or individual get stranded outside at dark. They're like, "Help me, help me, I can't figure out how to walk around this 6 foot stretch of fence with a huge opening to get back into the coop...just like I've done or been prompted to do 2 weeks in a row." Is this a sign that my line is inbred, or are Bresse really this dumb?
I have never kept other meat birds before, so I have nothing to compare to, other than my dual purpose breeds, which are geniuses in comparison.

Hen or rooster?

Back
Top Bottom