Bresse Chickens

Have bresse hen that hatched 7 chicks..was exposed to dorking and bresse rooster .two of the chicks are yellow like a bresse with no other markings and yellow legs. Pure?

Have bresse hen that hatched 7 chicks..was exposed to dorking and bresse rooster .two of the chicks are yellow like a bresse with no other markings and yellow legs. Pure?
Are the other chicks obvious dorking crosses? The ones that look the most like bresse still can't be called pure. There is still a question about parentage so it would not be ethical to breed them or sell them as pure bresse.

We just got these little guys from a neighbor who was no longer interested in them since they dont raise birds for meat. Lucky find! 9 in total, they're now playing in an open pen with Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbars and Ohiki Phoenixes.

This morning DH and I were discussing processing my only Bresse cockerel - an 11-month-old - because he wasn't performing his manly duties. I just threw out the 5 eggs (all laid the same day, so 5/6 of my hens) I had in the incubator for fertility testing for being clear, so it was not just that I was missing the action. The girls were squatting for me every time I went in the run, so I don't think they were being uncooperative. Well, I guess the boy heard us talking, because I saw him mount a hen for the very first time today! I'll be putting more eggs in the bator in a few days to check if he is getting it done.

Has anyone else had cockerels that took this long to mature?

Last edited:
This morning DH and I were discussing processing my only Bresse cockerel - an 11-month-old - because he wasn't performing his manly duties. I just threw out the 5 eggs (all laid the same day, so 5/6 of my hens) I had in the incubator for fertility testing for being clear, so it was not just that I was missing the action. The girls were squatting for me every time I went in the run, so I don't think they were being uncooperative. Well, I guess the boy heard us talking, because I saw him mount a hen for the very first time today! I'll be putting more eggs in the bator in a few days to check if he is getting it done.

Has anyone else had cockerels that took this long to mature?
Mating is a process that can take time. The hens have to accept him and he has to learn what to do. Yes it can take some time to get it all going and can be quite frustrating.

I hope the eggs go fertile for you!

Mating is a process that can take time. The hens have to accept him and he has to learn what to do. Yes it can take some time to get it all going and can be quite frustrating.

I hope the eggs go fertile for you!
Thanks for the reassurance, Ron. I guess I am just so used to hormone-filled young cockerels that spend almost every waking moment chasing every hen in sight from about 5 months on that I can't appreciate a gentlemanly one.

Yes!! Im behind in my grow outs because of it. I have 1 roo and 4 gals he was only mating 1!
I went through 4 batches of eggs only to have like 2/13 or 3/15 fertile!! Its taken about two more months but he is slowing mating all of them...I checked fertility yesterday and all eggs were growing. BUT my processing date is mid Sept so all the these birds hatching two months late Im afraid will be puny;(

I have my first Bresse chicks hatching..1st one hatched last night!! Hopefully the rest will hatch today - Day 21! Woot, nice big healthy looking chick, legs/feet look pink to me. Shouldn't they look blue from the start? Is this some type of a genetic thro back or defect? Got my eggs from a fellow BYCer. Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom