Bresse Chickens

I received 13 chicks this morning from Mossman all arrived safely and ran to the food and water as soon as I put them in the brooder. Bresse Farms has great service.

10 roosters and 9 new pullets growing out 12 weeks old butchering mid September..keeping a breeding trio or quad and butchering the original breeding quad

I got 1 day old chicks from Bresse Farms on 7/8, and the legs are showing a hint of color, but still not blue. 2-1/2 weeks old, sounds like that is normal from what I've read above. I am beginning to see the combs grow on a few of them, still a little early to tell for sure. They are active and hardy. I have what appears to be a pullet with a broken front toe, should she be culled? I do plan to keep a quad, as it appears I have 6 pullets so far, so culling shouldn't interfere with that. Just wanted some input on whether it is okay to keep a broken/disjointed toe.

Thanks

I would not keep any birds with crooked toes to breed. i have two growing out with crooked toes that will be butchered..1 girl 1 boy.

The blue comes with age...some appear darker earlier.

The roosters appear quicker with combs and waddles.

Ill take some photos of my grow out for you.

Right now they are on high protein crumbles, tons of greens we put in their pen everyday and fresh goats milk soaked scratch. Plus from time to time leftovers..although my usual leftovers go to my laying hens:)

I would not keep any birds with crooked toes to breed. i have two growing out with crooked toes that will be butchered..1 girl 1 boy.

The blue comes with age...some appear darker earlier.

The roosters appear quicker with combs and waddles.

Ill take some photos of my grow out for you.

Right now they are on high protein crumbles, tons of greens we put in their pen everyday and fresh goats milk soaked scratch. Plus from time to time leftovers..although my usual leftovers go to my laying hens:)
Awesome! Thanks for the info. At what age do you add the dairy to their diet? Is regular milk or buttermilk ok to use in lieu of Goat's milk? I look forward to the pictures. I have mine on 20% protein right now, should I put them on the 23%? I'm pretty sure I have 4 cockerels and 6 pullets, so I guess the bent toe will be dinner at some point. She's on the small side anyway. I'm thinking of keeping 4 pullets and trying to decide if I should just keep 1 roo or 2.

I have also thought about keeping 2 roosters in case, but I have a splash isbar covering my laying flock and I don't want to many running around.

Back
Top Bottom