Bresse Chickens

Finally got photobucket to work!

Nice rooster 8 weeks old dark dark legs and great chest formation..Might be my breeding keeper this year..toes..perfect! His buddy next to him will be butchered.

Same guys side shot

Crooked toed hen in front..will be .butchered this Fall

Pullets with nice dark legs and good size for 6 weeks old...no crooked toes..might stay to breed.
e414939f01308cc12860e8283e03a8c4_zpspsjnrihp.jpg

Regular cows milk can give the birds the runs;( i use fresh unpasteurized goats milk from day 1 until 6 weeks just in bowls for drinking...last 4 weeks I soak scratch in it and feed with their regular 21% feed and tons of greens...

Last edited:
What exactly is the French way of raising Bresse? I know they are fed milk and something else before slaughter, and I heard they are caponized, but that is all I know. Are they pastured or confined?

Great looking birds. Thanks again. Now to find unpasteurized goats milk.

Hope this helps:

http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/

Does it have to be goats milk? Would unpasteurized cow milk be okay?

I use fesh goats milk because thats what I barter for with a friend...Inhatched her chicks and give her garden veggie extras and she gives me all the unpasturized goats milk I want when raising the meat birds..win win

Hello,
First time I've posted on this site or backyard chickens. I'm having some problems with my Bresse. First generation that I started with had brown in the feathers and one Roo had a misshapen comb. Culled both of those and second generation looked better no brown and comb was better still leaning on the roo. Third generation now has half white toes and floppy comb. Am I better off starting over? Fourth generation is in the incubator with two weeks left.
Also when first generation started laying they were going crazy with eggs. Then in October they quit till spring. Zero eggs. Any ideas? The meat is awesome I'm just not sure they are genetically correct. They have their own pen and the person that I got them from would have kept them separated as well.

Back
Top Bottom