Bresse Chickens

Cree571 -
As far as I know, you are correct, the only importer is Greenfire Farms. However, they brought their first batch over a while back... I want to say 2010? 2011? Since then, a number of people have been breeding from that original stock. It doesn't take that many generations to see significant differences in separate breeding groups. The chicks are pretty pricey, so I've been trying to get the lowdown on which breeders are producing the best birds currently.
Cool! I bought them from 2 different people, but just assumed they were all pretty close since there was only one importer. Guess I have more homework to do!

FoodFreedomNow - Where did you get your genetics from? Is that your cockerel in your profile pick? Beautiful. I'm getting ready to add some AB to our flock this year, and I'm trying to figure out where I should order from.

Thanks! Yes, my profile pic is the cockerel. He's big, but sedate, boy. He has a funny crow (his brothers did, too): at the end of the crow, he makes this sound that reminds me of bagpipes deflating.
big_smile.png

I believe mine are of GFF lineage. There don't seem to be many people familiar with the breed where I am, and I've only seen a couple of local breeders even offering them for sale.

Cool! I bought them from 2 different people, but just assumed they were all pretty close since there was only one importer. Guess I have more homework to do!
I could be wrong, I'm fairly new to this. But it seems to me that not all breeders pay as close attention to the standard as might be preferred. Good luck with your flock! :)

Thanks! Yes, my profile pic is the cockerel. He's big, but sedate, boy. He has a funny crow (his brothers did, too): at the end of the crow, he makes this sound that reminds me of bagpipes deflating.
big_smile.png

I believe mine are of GFF lineage. There don't seem to be many people familiar with the breed where I am, and I've only seen a couple of local breeders even offering them for sale.
He sure is a handsome guy!

What does everyone charge for chicks? Or what did you pay for your chicks? I'm thinking of building a breeding barn and meed to choose the 5 breeds that would occupy the 3 spaces.

Has anyone crossed a Bresse with a Barbezieux? I have 6 white Bresse hens and two black Bresse hens and one white Bresse roo. We had a black Bresse roo but he was mean and went to live somewhere else. Our white Bresse roo, Steve, is in the coop with our mixed flock and I've got a Barbezieux roo over the Bresse hens. I'd like to make them all rose combed but the only thing I've got to work with is a SLW roo and two SLW hens. The Michigan winters wreck havoc on giant single combs!

Back
Top Bottom