Bresse Chickens

first eggs.jpg

I picked up 6 Bresse from Bresse Farms MS - earlier this spring. Of those 6 chicks 5 DOA/died within a day or two. Four chicks were replaced of the 10 chicks only 4 have survived. 2 male and 2 female. One cockerel is huge, very upright with fold over comb (defect) - very much like Leghorn and even the crow and disposition is very much Leghorn. He's a mean bastard who bullied everyone (processed). That rooster was identical to local farmer's Leghorns but broader hip and breast. The other rooster is smallish and timid - I'll give him some time to recover the bully in that pen. The two females are phenotypically Bresse but small my Fr Blk Copper Marans (Greenfire - from 2016 imports) outsize/outweigh them even though 3-4 wks younger. The Bresse chicks came to me at varying ages said to have hatched 2/20/2018 but confirmed with Justin they don't send just day old chicks. The hens started laying last week at 21 weeks - 16 weeks point of lay is the Bresse standard and typically they lay 16-17 wks NOT 21 weeks. Their eggs are small pullet eggs - see pic comparison of their eggs of today w/lg white egg. None of the chicks received from Bresse Farms look purebred - I believe they outcross their Bresse stock on Leghorns or other white crosses. According to Greenfire and Bresse standard the male should weigh in at 5.5 to 6.6 lbs and females 4.4 to 5.5. Bresse chickens are NOT slow to develop in fact with their voracious appetite they are rather quick to mature. The females are now 22 wks and I'm doubtful they will make those weights. All four seem to lack the breadth of body/breast seen in Bresse birds. Note none of the four have blue legs - only slightly a light greyish blue. I don't consider the Bresse received from Bresse Farms MS to be purebred. I will give the small male and two females a round of mating and hatch. If the offspring are under par in any way as the stock received from Bresse Farms, I'll process the the entire lot. IMHO if you purchased from Bresse Farms MS, I recommend you don't consider them to be purebred American Bresse.

Last edited:
It seem's that this thread has slowed down a bit. How are everyone's Breese holding up in this summer heat? I'm still waiting on my 3 White Breese pullets to start laying eggs.

@mommissan How did your hatch go?

My bbs are all going strong. My yard's perpetually flooded this summer so my water bill is gong to suck, but the birds seem to be holding up

View attachment 1485179
I picked up 6 Bresse from Bresse Farms MS - earlier this spring. Of those 6 chicks 5 DOA/died within a day or two. Four chicks were replaced of the 10 chicks only 4 have survived. 2 male and 2 female. One cockerel is huge, very upright with fold over comb (defect) - very much like Leghorn and even the crow and disposition is very much Leghorn. He's a mean bastard who bullied everyone (processed). That rooster was identical to local farmer's Leghorns but broader hip and breast. The other rooster is smallish and timid - I'll give him some time to recover the bully in that pen. The two females are phenotypically Bresse but small my Fr Blk Copper Marans (Greenfire - from 2016 imports) outsize/outweigh them even though 3-4 wks younger. The Bresse chicks came to me at varying ages said to have hatched 2/20/2018 but confirmed with Justin they don't send just day old chicks. The hens started laying last week at 21 weeks - 16 weeks point of lay is the Bresse standard and typically they lay 16-17 wks NOT 21 weeks. Their eggs are small pullet eggs - see pic comparison of their eggs of today w/lg white egg. None of the chicks received from Bresse Farms look purebred - I believe they outcross their Bresse stock on Leghorns or other white crosses. According to Greenfire and Bresse standard the male should weigh in at 5.5 to 6.6 lbs and females 4.4 to 5.5. Bresse chickens are NOT slow to develop in fact with their voracious appetite they are rather quick to mature. The females are now 22 wks and I'm doubtful they will make those weights. All four seem to lack the breadth of body/breast seen in Bresse birds. Note none of the four have blue legs - only slightly a light greyish blue. I don't consider the Bresse received from Bresse Farms MS to be purebred. I will give the small male and two females a round of mating and hatch. If the offspring are under par in any way as the stock received from Bresse Farms, I'll process the the entire lot. IMHO if you purchased from Bresse Farms MS, I recommend you don't consider them to be purebred American Bresse.

I read someplace a while back about that one in MS, and it said basically what you just said about that one. I know about one over there in FL., but haven't read good or bad about them from someone who got some from them.

I have 4 new babies left of last weeks hatch. All gone of July 4 hatch. My thre hens only 2 serm fertilized but cant tell which one isnt. So I have to give 3 for price if 2 when I sell eggs.

Just yesterday the rooster we put in solitary a few weeks ago and were fattening up the official French Bresse way seems to have died likely of heat. We were away and his shade blew off in the storm Monday evening and our house sitter didnt realize it so likely he over heated. We have another extra rooster so will try again.

It was only second death this summer in whole flock of about 60. Misters are doing the trick.

I have 4 new babies left of last weeks hatch. All gone of July 4 hatch. My thre hens only 2 serm fertilized but cant tell which one isnt. So I have to give 3 for price if 2 when I sell eggs.

Just yesterday the rooster we put in solitary a few weeks ago and were fattening up the official French Bresse way seems to have died likely of heat. We were away and his shade blew off in the storm Monday evening and our house sitter didnt realize it so likely he over heated. We have another extra rooster so will try again.

It was only second death this summer in whole flock of about 60. Misters are doing the trick.

I have extra White Breese boy's here if you need one. I got my start of these from @cactusrota . I would also trade hatching eggs in these with you after my White Breese girls start laying eggs. I am loving these blue eggs that I am getting from the CCLB girls that I got from you before!

@BlueBaby I would love to trade some hatching eggs to get both our flocks a bit more diverse. I only have 3 laying hens. Putting 14 eggs in bator today though.

9709A6E0-F1A4-4AD4-872B-B636AB9B831F.jpeg

We had an extra rooster we were fattening and preparing to process but he past this week while we were away. Likely his sun screen blew off and the caretaker didnt notice. Too bad we were ready to process when we came back.

Back
Top Bottom