Bresse Chickens

I've had several hypermelanistic Marans processed and can attest to their flavor. I wonder if that melanistic skin is part of the flavor, but can't help but assume my 15-grain, soy-free, range diet makes a huge difference, too. The processors asked whether they should be concerned about the blue at the base of the drumstick when returning them to me- and so it seems it won't be necessary to leave the feet on to show the blue leg. I imagine your AB will also have the blue bit showing when processed.

I also have several hypermelanistic Orps that have gone the same route, with black ankles showing. That gets some conversation going!!

Just joined this forum, been lurking for a while. I have both Black and White Bresse and will be starting a pastured poultry business in the near future with these as my foundation stock. Mine will hopefully be in lay by this fall. Is anyone at the point where they are able to sample the meat of these special birds? I'm looking forward to having about 200-400 on pasture by next spring. Hope to sample a couple before that but don't want to eat my breeding stock.

I've had the birds in France, and yes they are what they are cracked-up to be. The Greenfire lines claim to be of the same genetics, if so the key I would think would be to mimic the French model. Many will say that its the grass, clover of France that gives them the taste but what I recall is a flavorful bird (very chicken) that was rich with fat and extremely moist and tender. If you think of a CX as the equivalent of grocery store beef (select), home raised CX's as choice, Freedom Rangers/ Label Rouge types the equivalent of Angus & the Capons like prime- then the Bresse is the Kobe of chicken and from what I've tasted I think its a fair analogy. I am hoping to get some soon to try them here,what I wonder most is at what point the production cost makes them a viable product outside of high end restaurants/ specialty food markets. I also very much believe that we are more than capable of producing that quality level here- it may not be "exactly" the same as the French birds, but I'm willing to bet that if raised in a similar manner and finished the same way (raw milk & corn, air chilled) they are going to be the best tasting chickens in the country.

I'm still a bit confused. Is the Greenfire line the only related line in the USA?

And,when you tasted Bresse in France, did you taste hen or capon? Or rooster?

BTW, I am assuming that Bresse are a heritage breed that is not harvestable before 15-18 weeks. In other words, an 8-week-old CornishX is a big meaty but immature chick. Heck - the ones at the supermarket often weigh over 5 lbs!! Maybe they were harvested at 10-12 wks??
By contrast, a 15-18-week old heritage chicken is either a young hen, a young roo, or a young fellow who's had the misfortune of meeting a caponizer....
barnie.gif

I have had both Capon and chickens, which I assume were hens. To the best of my knowledge any roos not being used for breeding stock are caponized. As for the age of the birds I had, I couldn't tell you; they were served in restaurants, but I do know that the French AOC system requires a longer grow out period and the information should be available. As far as I know Greenfire are the only ones with the genetics, birds for sale from others here in the states are coming from their lines. There is a separate strain of bird which was bred in Canada then sold to California and from what I understand is now back in Canada. The breed was created over the course of many years to mimic the French birds, I have tasted these as well when they were still commercially available and they were very good, but not as good as what I remember having there. Of course I don't know if the Californian birds had gone through the same raising/finishing process.

Back
Top Bottom