Bresse Crossed wit Cuckoo Lemon Orpington...........

Not for as long as a duck.
Glad you found him in time.
Might want to add a ramp escape.
He fully recovered, I saw him jumping on an Australorp a moment ago. I didn't think he had it in him. My two roosters got beat up by the older hens while they grew up, I am surprised to see my hens warm up to him.

I was reading through a meat bird cross and found one with a Bar Rock crossed with buff Orpington. The male chicks at 9 weeks were 9 pounds, that's amazing hybrid vigor. I hope my Bresse / Orpington cross produce the same results.

I started collecting eggs for my incubator today, I got two different size eggs. One of the hens make bigger eggs.
DSCN0239.JPG

Last edited:
I finally finished my 3 section coop. I am going to use 2 sections for a breeding pen. I'll let Crooked Toe establish his territory before I introduce the Australorp I saw him jump on........This is my first time breeding young cockerels, so I don't know if any of the eggs I gather will be fertile.

DSCN0250.JPG

I gathered 12 Bresse/Cuckoo Lemon Orpington eggs over a 10 day period. I put them in my incubator today 2/12/21. I hope at least one of them hatches, I am so curious.
DSCN0255.JPG

I also started gathering eggs from a crooked toe Bresse/ Black Australorp cross. I have 3 hens with the rooster , so I'll put them in another incubator in a few days.
Although the Bresse rooster has crooked toes, his body is more meatier than other heritage breeds at 4 months. He is also bigger than the Bresse rooster I have paired with my Lemon Orpingtons.

I have chick size colored rubber bands to mark the ones with a black dot. My crooked toe Bresse rooster had a black dot on his back when he was hatched, it went away when he matured, but he still has black bleeding through his feathers.

Last edited:
I was reading through a meat bird cross and found one with a Bar Rock crossed with buff Orpington. The male chicks at 9 weeks were 9 pounds, that's amazing hybrid vigor.

That's highly unlikely! That's about the size of cornishX at that age. My rock x orps grew at the same rate as the parents.

I used a hunters brine to smoke a Bresse cockerel (1 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar, garlic and dash of black pepper) to one gallon of water (soaked over night). The texture of the meat is perfect, I think this is what puts them above other chicken breeds.

Smoking is the best way to cook a chicken or any meat in my opinion.

DSCN0256.JPG

Last edited:
That's highly unlikely! That's about the size of cornishX at that age. My rock x orps grew at the same rate as the parents.
I'll link the post when I find it, I agree with you. They must have used a cornish x hybrid. The person who posted it, was a newbie who bought chicks from a store who told him it was a cross.

Back
Top Bottom