Brewers Yeast: A Chicken Conundrum

so idk about them not eating stuff that's not good for them

But....are they still alive?

If so...

It remains true that though we see it as bad, it could just be a human thing, the feeling of it being bad.

If we don't know of the benefits they got from it, we can't say they don't exist.

I can't stand wasting either!

Do you have a wrist tattoo?
It's just cuz I been noticing most jeepgirls have a wrist tattoo!

Sorce

But....are they still alive?

If so...

It remains true that though we see it as bad, it could just be a human thing, the feeling of it being bad.

If we don't know of the benefits they got from it, we can't say they don't exist.

I can't stand wasting either!

Do you have a wrist tattoo?
It's just cuz I been noticing most jeepgirls have a wrist tattoo!

Sorce
They're alive and shiny and laying like crazy, despite the cold weather and shorter days! You might be on to something, but I'm still not sure on the nutritional value of styrofoam and paint chips. At least I know they're not lead based...:gig:lau

No wrist tattoos, but I've got one on my shoulder blade area, one on my ankle, and a purple jeep on my hip in memory of my purple jeep that my ex totaled :hit

Hoping to have one more in the next year to balance out my back. My friend is working on drawing it up for me. She is a wonderful artist:love

You can buy a product called brewer's yeart, or nutritional yeast, at the health food store. I think they are the same thing (as each other). Some purists don't want to eat anything that sounds like it came from a brewery, hence the name "nutritional" yeast. It comes powdered or flaked. IMO the powdered tastes better. We sprinkle it on popcorn and toast and add it to smoothies. It's very high in B vitamins. It should be fine for your chickens, dogs, kids, whatever. It is a by-product of brewing beer, I believe (beer, that is and not wine, but don't quote me).

Now, having said all that, I don't know if the sludge at the bottom of your beer barrel is EXACTLY the same thing, or if you need to bake (as you said), dry, centrifuge or otherwise somehow further process your sludge to make it the same as this commercially available brewer's yeast. It would be way cool if it is the same! Go buy some and compare. If it is, let us know. I'll go find a brewer and swap eggs for spent yeast!

Thank you! This is what I was wondering! I will have to do this, as I will have some sludge here in the next 2 weeks since he just started a batch of beer. In the mean time I'll keep looking into this while I'm waiting.

I'll definitely let you know what I find out! I'll be researching the preparation process of it, but all I've found so far is its rolled dried then pounded. The drying process kills anything left that may cause fermentation to begin again, but leaves all the nutrients.

I'll hold off on the wine leftovers until I can find a more definitive answer on those. I did however, save the stuff from his second diary ferment on his hibiscus mead. I couldn't waste those pretty flowers I know my girls will love, if they can have them. Although, I dont see too much of an issue arising as long as they're dried the same way the brewers yeast is. But, like I said, holding off until I know a bit more:thumbsup

We used to brew and if nothing else the funk in the carboys makes wonderful lawn fertilizer. Used to activate compost or to fertilize I would not consider it waste. Having said that it is possible to keep cultures of your brewing yeast which if you brew often would be a good idea considering the cost! I think those who collect or propagate yeasts are practicing zymurgy. Lol That’s what they called it in our home brew book. Very interesting thread!

We used to brew and if nothing else the funk in the carboys makes wonderful lawn fertilizer. Used to activate compost or to fertilize I would not consider it waste. Having said that it is possible to keep cultures of your brewing yeast which if you brew often would be a good idea considering the cost! I think those who collect or propagate yeasts are practicing zymurgy. Lol That’s what they called it in our home brew book. Very interesting thread!

I was reading about this with wine gunk. Some people were using it to start off their next batch. I was curious about this, because it was to my understanding the yeast died after it reached the max % alcohol for that yeast, or consumed all the sugars in the alcohol. I also heard from the fermentation store that it does make good hatden fertilizer, but can make your dogs sick if they eat it from the hops. Haven't had time to dig into the dog aspect of it yet.

Was this book you're referring to on beer or wine brewing? Do happen to have a title and author? It sounds like a wonderful gift for the hubs.

But the rocks don't either!

Chickens are weird, but smarter than humans! Then again...my other hobby is Bonsai and I believe even trees are smarter than humans!

Sorce

I feel like this has almost been scientifically proven. I read an article somewhere a while back where they found, through electrical probing I believe, trees actually communicate with each other through their roots and a fungi which lives in the ground and connects all the trees.

I personally think a lot of things are smarter than us humans. Hence all these ridiculous warning labels on crap you cant even believe needs to be there.

Rocks help them digest their food, what does styrofoam and paint chips do? Maybe it just tastes good. Or it's their way of manipulating me into distracting them with treats:lau

Back
Top Bottom