Bridgette and her new diapers *ALL PIX FIXED*

Think how strange it must have been when the first cats and dogs and birds were kept indoors. We have had to have a newborn lamb and a newborn kid in the house for a couple of weeks until they were eating and drinking and could rejoin the herd (runt with one and bad mom with the other). It was much like having a puppy in the house. I put diapers on them because I didn't want the mess. At least chickens stay small. My dogs wear bandanas. They love them and get excited to get a clean one. Again, to each his/her own. The chickens are well fed and happy and the owner is enjoying them. Might be a good solution for folks allergic to fur. My 2 cents.

i think this is cute....

I have questions though...

since she is a broiler chicken, I was under the understanding that broiler chickens were supposed to be culled at like 18 weeks, I thought that they wont live much past that anyway because of the feed that they were given to fatten them up fast thier organs just cant take the stress?

I could be wrong and i am not judging at all but i would hate to get attached by nursing the chicken back to health and for my children to get attached to have the chicken die at such a young age..

I am not saying that you did wrong by rescuing it (i most likely would have done the same thing)

I think its insane kinda of loopy if you ask me for shows yes but to keep a chicken inside with a diaper on is just pure nuts.. my thoughts are this chickens belong outside with nature where they enjoy life like a chicken is supposed to do not inside a house like a cat or dog...
barnie.gif
idunno.gif

All i have to say is to each their own opinion! There are all kinds of different circumstances for why some keep chickens in the house and why not its their house. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes, its not like keeping an entire flock of standard size chickens in the house (which i would NEVER do) but a few is awesome. Its so sad that some people have such a closed mind to this thread, I have always kept an open mind. With that said im off to order 4 chicken diapers!
big_smile.png

I must say that I had never heard of "house chickens" before I started reading this forum. I think it is interesting to read how other people take care of their animals. I don't think I would ever have a chicken in the house, but I certainly am not going to criticize you for having one in yours. She looks very healthy and well cared for, not in any distress or discomfort. And in the end, that's all that matters.

Quote:
The information I have was given to me by my SO whose family raised broilers in commercial houses for 30 years. If you take them off the hot feed and provide them with an enviroment with low stress and comfortable temps, their internals get the chance to catch up with their body and they can do fine and live for a few years at least. My SO's moms egg-laying chickens were chicks destined for the broiler houses. She simply never started them on the hot feed and raised them in the backyard rather than in the broiler house. By the way, nowadays the broilers are harvested at 6 to 8 weeks, not 18. Again, they look like grown chickens, but they're really just babies. Something I read awhile back: What's the difference between a pet parrot and a house chicken? About $2,000.
wink.png

"Think how strange it must have been when the first cats and dogs and birds were kept indoors."

Well, that was hundreds of years ago. Not 2008. And dogs and cats can be house trained, no need for diapers unless they have medical or behaviroal problems. To my knowledge, there has not been a bird that has been trained o be house broken... ever. Even that Parrot that could speak 2,00 words could never dump in the same place twice.

People keep parakeets and parrots indoors.... not Emus, chickens, turkeys, Peacocks and Ostriches with Candy Cane diapers on them in their spare bedrooms.

And why do you people think its cute?? Because there are candy canes on the chicken diapers?

Whats next? an injured elephant with a scooby doo diaper, and a backup smurf diaper, oh so cute, sleeping in your bedroom?

let chickens be chickens, outside where they belong.

Last edited:
How can any of you say that chickens enjoy wearing diapers?? My chickens cant figure out how to get around a half open gate (they get caught on the inside for 20 minutes)... do you half super smart chickens that can speak the human Language and tell you they want to wear a diaper and watch super nanny with you??

Where do you buy your chickens?

Quote:
WOW are you ever gonna leave this subject alone since it upsets you so much why not just leave it alone instead of criticizing people for their personal choices? Thats all im saying or ima gonna get in trouble

Back
Top Bottom