Bridgette and her new diapers *ALL PIX FIXED*

I actually got a legitimate question here. So, does one have to wipe the poopie butts? I'm being serious here. What if I had an ill chicken that needed to be housed and such, and had to wear these diapers? I know chickens poop every 5 mins or so...so do you change the diaper every time? I know there's a liner in the diaper so that would be easy enough to clean, but would you clean it after every poopie to keep it from sticking to the butt? What about the egg laying diaper wearers? Do they lay eggs in their diapers? Err do the diapers come off when they are in their crates? Just curious is all. Do tell. One might need this info. at one point or another. Cause my gals are outside roamers but gawd forbid I ever need to house one, or anyone else I know needs to, I would like to know. One more thing, how do they react when applying these apparatuses? Do they freak out for a while? Is it like sticking duct tape on a cats foot? Also, how do their feather react with these appendages attached? I probably should read back through the threads to see if any of my questions were answered already.

Quote:
I am not trying to perpetuate an argument but I'd like to respectfully disagree...my cockatiel will only mess in his cage. He's out for a little bit and he returns to his cage for a few minutes. Granted, none of our others did this, but he does. Much like a cat going to a little box. He goes to his cage. Just my two cents.

smile.png

Quote:
I currently have a polish pullet in the house, because her head was picked bloody. We tried several other housing situations for her, and nothing else worked, so she's in the house in a diaper. I found the pattern and instructions to make it on YouTube.

I change her diaper every couple of hours, or more if need be. It hangs far enough beneath her body that she is not sitting in the poo, and it doesn't mess up her feathers. It has a couple of times, and I've washed her clean, but she rarely gets dirty from it.

When I first put the diaper on her, she freaked out. She tried to maneuver her way out of it, and walked backwards... kinda like she was doing the moonwalk for a few minutes. She got used to it pretty quickly, and doesn't act like it bothers her at all.

My diaper has elastic that goes from the top of the pouch (which hangs underneath her tail, over her vent) across her back, and attaches to the cloth on her chest. It velcroes together on her back, between her wings. The cloth goes down her chest, between her legs, where it becomes the pouch.

Here's a pic of her, the first time she had it on. She was still pretty freaked out:
PB100002.jpg

Many parrots are house trained, or potty trained, as it's usually called when talking about parrots. As is my African grey parrot. It's quite common. Young parrots sometimes wear what is called a flight suit, but it's basically the same thing as a chicken diaper. They're potty trained after they're a little older.

I don't have house chickens, but I don't have a problem with other people having house chickens. I don't have a problem with anything anybody does, that isn't hurting someone else. I don't think chickens lounging around a house with relaxed body language, enjoying the company of their housemates, is hurting them.

^ Nope, birds don't pee. well, the pee is in the poop (its the white part, I think) with parrot type birds, not sure about chickens though.

I've got to get a diaper harness for my future chickens
big_smile.png
i have a duck diaper harness ffor one of my indoor ducks but i'm too lazy to put it on her.. soon I will though.

Its not bird's fault they cant hold their poop, they dont have a anus like we do... it just falls out, they have no control over it

How much do chicken diaper harness cost? my one for my duck costs over $30.

Last edited:
thank god I'm not a bird LOL

I could have swore my chicken pee'd on me.... I was all wet on my arm and there was no poopie involved - I checked
lol.png

See - now I learned something new...and ty for not laughing - or at least not openly
tongue.png

I have kept several chickens in the house at various times. First they were all in a spare bedroom as chicks in their brooder, then whenever I have a sick or injured chicken I bring them in and keep them in a bathroom so I can take care of them properly and keep them segregated from the rest of the flock.

The ones that come inside always end up extra sweet afterward. I think they miss their flock and bond more with us to compensate. All of the extra handling probably helps too, but I like to think they also just plain appreciate having their colds and boo boos fixed for them so that they can feel better!

Our first bathroom chicken was Sheila, the Australorps. I bought her and her sister as 7wk olds and it turned out they were both sick with CRD. I lost her sister, but was able to nurse Sheila through it with twice daily shots of Tylan, lots of VetRx, hand feeding formula, and Poly-Visol drops.

She had a little box with shavings, but she would fly out every night and perch on the bathroom vanity over one of the sinks to sleep. When we'd go in after dark she would peep at us with this sweet, sleepy peeping noise. We got quite used to our special bathroom chicken and were actually sad when she had to go re-join the rest of the flock. She was pretty sad, too, and would try to follow us back inside in the evening instead of going to the coop!

Back
Top Bottom