Bridgey is Unwell...

Can you please tell us what you use for the weight chart and what you use to weight, please. I would need to do that

Yes, it is not a precise method. I have a little kitchen scale, but they won’t stand still on it. So I do the weigh self, pick up bird, and weigh again method. LOL!

Last edited:
Yes, it is not a precise method. I have a little kitchen scale, but they won’t stand still on it. So I do the weigh, self pick up bird, and weigh again method. LOL!
I have a cheap ($12) flat glass kitchen scale from Walmart that I love.
It weighs in grams or pounds and ounces.
Weighs up to 10 lbs.
and has a tare weight feature.

So I use an empty plastic dishpan then re-zero it, then sit my chicken in the pan then have my weight!
If I need to, I can even add a dish towel to prevent slipping, on the bottom of the pan before zeroing.

I have found it to be very accurate.

I have to say, you certainly aren’t the first person I’ve talked to or read about this molting season who have a few who are struggling and acting unwell.
I know that doesn’t help but it is an observation.

Since it seemed that Bridgey felt better as the day progressed, would you have time in the morning to grab a quick video of her morning behavior?

Operation poop collection:
93403FF6-9118-43C3-92FA-2808030764CB.jpeg

Since Bridgey acted normal, I did nothing except offer wet feed (and she ate some, along with several others.) She foraged, scratched and preened. I will check her crop before bed and early in the morning, plus inspect poop in the morning. I’ll be interested to see if she’s strong enough to get up on her roost. Not holding my breathe just yet, as Margo had a brief recovery before she worsened this summer.

Last edited:
I have to say, you certainly aren’t the first person I’ve talked to or read about this molting season who have a few who are struggling and acting unwell.
I know that doesn’t help but it is an observation.

Since it seemed that Bridgey felt better as the day progressed, would you have time in the morning to grab a quick video of her morning behavior?

Yes! That’s brilliant. Thanks for the suggestion!

Operation poop collection:
View attachment 1562753

Since Bridgey acted normal, I did nothing except offer wet feed (and she ate some, along with several others. She foraged, scratches and preened. I will check her crop before bed and early in the morning, plus inspect poop in the morning. I’ll be interested to see if she’s strong enough to get up on her roost. Not holding my breathe just yet, as Margo had a brief recovery before she worsened this summer.
:clap Looks fantastic!

I’m an idiot. I just looked back at my chart and Bridgette has actually NOT lost weight since that last measurement end of August.

Ok, so am I just a way over-reacter to molt stress? I don’t remember any of my birds acting SO sick last year or the year before during molt. Overnight poop and crop function will be telling, I think.

As far as a flock, I saw a few more normal/firm poops around the run and yard. Can a gastrointestinal I VIRUS come through a flock?

Back
Top Bottom