Bright Green Poop

It's definitely feed related. Could be lack of grit as well, which strains the liver and kidneys, and causes black comb. Are your chickens molting too? Molting puts strain on their existing diets too. Are there any supplemental snacks or nutrients you can provide above the feed, it may help. Something possibly with natural glucose or sugar. Im in a balancing act right now trying to manually feed some chickens and its hard getting the grit and protein and nutrients correct. Ive been giving my chickens liver pate as supplement, but they still need something more.
The roo that had the purple comb had been free ranging all day every day. He liked to pick through the gravel that was in our yard and spent a lot of time wandering through the tree line. The cockerels are 6-7 months and are not molting. The roo already molted and his stomach feathers went from white to black. Is it normal for his feathers to change that much after molt? This was before he was moved in with the peafowl. My main flock has been free ranging everyday so they're getting grit. All I have is oyster shells, but these guys don't need the calcium.

@azygous has already covered it most adequately. While there are definite benefits to "high protein feed" for young birds, and I feed my own 24% protein for the first nine weeks or so of their lives, that's for early weight gain and condition much as you would a Cornish X. Most of my mutts are destined for table after all.

There are virtually no benefits and plenty of downsides to exceeding 20% protein long term. Which is why i drop my birds to 18% or 20% for the rest of their lives (admittedly, usually less than a year). OP's comments suggest they are already aware they have a feed problem. Having almost nothing to add, and no studies to cite, i thought it best not to pile on.

oh, and from my own experience, more watery droppings are relatively common in association with extra water consumption during hot months with high protein. Not normally concerning.

When you butcher one of the cockerels, pay close attention to the levels of fat in the organ cavity, and around the heart, liver condition particularly. Excess fat can contribute to purplish/blackening comb and similar circulation problems at the extremities - but unless the bird is quite skilled at picking out the "candy" in the scratch, that's likely not the cause - just something to be alert to when you do butcher.

oh, and from my own experience, more watery droppings are relatively common in association with extra water consumption during hot months with high protein. Not normally concerning.

When you butcher one of the cockerels, pay close attention to the levels of fat in the organ cavity, and around the heart, liver condition particularly. Excess fat can contribute to purplish/blackening comb and similar circulation problems at the extremities - but unless the bird is quite skilled at picking out the "candy" in the scratch, that's likely not the cause - just something to be alert to when you do butcher.
We butchered 3 last year and had raised them exactly the same as these guys, but they never had green poop. They had a lot of fat on them, but not on their organs. It was outside the breast meat. The roo with the purple comb wasn't fat when it happened. I think he was actually a little thin. Since I've moved him in here he's seemed happier and gained weight. He's kinda a picky eater. He doesn't like the crust on his bread. I threw him a slice a while back and he only ate the middle. I found a perfect square of crust later. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I can see this one only picking out certain parts of the scratch

One or more of mine has the exact green poop with the white mixed in. They may have been overeating oyster shells, because their little container is emptying quickly. Could that cause the problem?

Try poking the feces after it dries out. Look for fibrous materials. OP’s pictures feces had lots of fibrous material in it indicating lots of vegetative plant materials consumed.

If a health issue like the “greens” then actual diet may not be important. Even intestinal parasites can sometimes promote production of a greasy fecal mass that is also distinguishable from cecal poop.

Back
Top Bottom