Bright red skin

univark

Hatching
12 Years
Oct 14, 2007
I know this has to be normal, I've just never seen it.

We adopted two Rhode Island Reds this weekend, to add to our very eclectic flock of 13 hens. They're our first RIRs, so I'm new to this breed.

Because they're molting, we couldn't help but notice their rumps. They are bright red. We've been calling them baboons all day. I've tried searching for this trait for this breed, but nothing comes up. For those with RIRs: Is this normal for the breed?

Thanks!
Erin

Could you possibly post a pic or two? That would help a lot........mine all have real pink, don't think red...........or at least baboon red is normal........but I am no expert.........hope someone who does know can help you..

Hmmm... did you quarantine? Red rumps... makes me think of pecking and lice or mites causing irritation. I would separate them and hope that nothing was introduced to your flock though these hens. Also, since I am thinking you put them together already, I'd dust everyone and keep an eye out for any sicknesses.

Are you sure they are molting and another chicken hasn't plucked their tale feathers leaving very red and injured rumps?

You should always keep new chickens very far away from your current flock for at least 30 days so as not to expose them to disease or parasites. I am not saying your flock has a disease nor am I saying the new birds have a disease. They each have been exposed to different germs and have natural immunities that perhaps the other group does not therefore sickness could develop. Watching them carefully.

I agree with silkiechicken that you should check them for mites and dust them if need be and separate them from the main flock. If the feathers were plucked out I would paint their bottoms with blu kote and give them a little extra protein to help withh feather regrowth.

We live in a small, but cramped urban city. The backyard chicken community here is extremely tight and we all get our chicks from the same sources, and socialize, visiting each other's coops. Plus, the bottom line is that I'm just not set up to quarantine, so don't adopt chickens from outside our circle.

I don't think another hen plucked feathers. They're the dominant of this tiny flock of 3, and have all grown up together over the last 3 years in small backyard. There's been no feather-plucking or fighting behavior between them since we took them, either.

I've dusted for mites already. I see none, though, anywhere. For mites to have caused this, I would think they would be all over the feather shafts and vents. Nothing. These chickens look healthier and cleaner than my own hens, save for the butts. But, to be on the safe side, that's done.

I'll see if I can get pictures to show you later today, as the light keeps growing. It's hard to explain: it doesn't look like there's anything "wrong," like open sores, or rash. It looks like there is patch of tough, red skin, as if they had "hides."

When the bare skin is exposed to sun and wind it does turn bright red, like a sunburn but without the peeling etc... it's normal. I see it more on the hens who have bare spots from the rooster.

It'll show up in any breed and gender. They can also blush bright red if they are excited or anxious, like because they've moved into a new situation.
smile.png

Thank you. I was pretty sure it looked like something that was totally within a normal range. I guess I just wanted confirmation from someone else who'd seen it. This would make sense, since this patch is bald from molting, and they're stressed right now.

Still don't have pictures. It's been raining here and my schedule has interfered with their close-ups.

Best,
Ms. DeMille

We had a barred rock with a baboon butt who was going through a hard molt intensified with being the most popular girl. She looked really bad. Wings with 2 tail feathers in the air, basically.
Once we got everyone dusted and the sun went away for the season and and mating screeched to a halt and the feathers started growing back, her butt looks like a Chicken Butt again!
smile.png

silkiechicken, I have to admit I was thinking the same as you, while I agree that the skin will turn red when exposed to the elements (very noticeable on hens that have had to much roo exposure), I was wondering what cause the loss of feathers around the vent, sounds like you have taken the proper preventative or treatment measure for parasites, so maybe it very will could be just a very hard moult.

Back
Top Bottom