Bringing chickens into a yard with dogs

I would keep them separate. Aside from the high prey drive in pits and terriers, you get a pack of dogs together and it's hard to tell what kind of mischief they will cook up.

I have german shepherd dogs and they are always out and about with the chickens and guineas. I made sure the fowl were part of the dogs' landscape and that they were exposed to each other as much as possible. I haven't had any problems. I often forget the dogs and chickens are together when I throw scraps to the chickens, and the dogs ignore the chickens and "graze" along side the chickens. The dogs have all been in the henhouse and even in the pen.

Actually, my youngest dog was driving me crazy getting in my shadow (actually I wish he was in my shadow) while I was trying to some chores, and it was muddy. So instead of bringing him back to the house, I stuck him in the closed chicken run...with the chickens. He was miserable...really craving to get underfoot. It was like the chickens weren't even there.

Keeping them apart is prudent for a lot of people, but if you decide to try and integrate them, the dogs can be beneficial in keeping natural predators out, even if they don't mean to. I'd introduce them slowly, and probably on the lead first. I'd use remote controlled shock collars if I had to. I love those for training. It depends on how much control you have over them. They need to know that the chickens are YOURS and respect that.

I find it extremely beneficial to have them together. I haven't seen a natural predator in over three years. And they'll keep the neighbor's dogs at bay if they're outside. They scare away hawks too. It's not for every dog, but great if it works out.

Will have to get back to you on that! I have a Belgian Malinois and an ancient Parson Russell Terrier (still feisty!) who have never met chickens and we are getting chicks in the spring. They are well trained but the Mali is very prey driven and active (ex military dog) so I will be using the "leave it" command-- a lot. Lots of training will go on in my presence. The key is to let the Mali work off excess energy with exercise and play to keep her more focused on me. I will introduce them when the are chicks but will NEVER let them alone together and our coop/run will be a Fort Knox!
thumbsup.gif

NO! One dog is difficult enough to keep track of and try to train. Three dogs make a pack and, especially since they have not been around them, they will kill the chickens! Please do not subject the poor birds to that awful end.

I had a GP and thought she would make a great protector. She did...while I was with her. Soon as I went inside she killed. She is gone to a home with NO chickens. I HATE reading about dogs killing chickens and will not own one that does, so I don't own one.

Why don't you put your dogs on a leash and see how they react to the chickens. If there is some stare down, stalking, predatory behavior then no dogs with chickens. If not, walk around the chickens some more let them smell them, but you have to watch carefully and see if their intention is to investigate or kill. I would do one dog at a time.

Last edited:
I am with the "Keep them Separate" camp. I have 2 dogs- one I would trust completely with my birds who was an adult when the birds were introduced, and one I wouldn't trust at all who was raised with the birds. Each dog is different. I figured I would have less to worry about with the younger dog since he was raised with the birds, but not so. He's the one who gives the birds a look that says, "Someday... I WILL have you." Both dogs have a low prey drive, but I don't like the longing looks cast by my Bernese. He may not try to hurt the birds, but I could easily see him playing with them to the point where they died from the attention.
hmm.png

Keep them apart. Safer for all involved.

Came home from church tonight and couldn't find my only Araucana hen. The rooster was in the coop along with all the rest of my Marans. We searched all over and then found her remains. Our dog had killed her. I am so sad. Our dog has never shown any signs of aggression towards the chickens. Little Chipper was such a friendly bird. My youngest son cried himself to sleep.

Don't do it. Too many people have their chickens killed by their ouw dogs. Most of the time it's not just one.

I didn't do something right. The quote above is from TisMeDe on another thread.

Last edited:
I'm with the "don't do it" crowd.

Our 11yr old Doberman-Sheppard mix was great around the chickens when we were with her. She took a casual interest but never attacked them or showed any sign of aggression.

But then she ended up killing 18 chickens in less than 30 minutes the first time she was out alone while our 22 birds roamed free. She didn't eat any either, just broke their necks and left them.

Just because dogs seem ok when you are around does not mean they will behave as respectfully when they are unsupervised.

I still allow our dog out with me when the chickens are roaming, I even let her in the coop while I feed and water our flock (we have 26 young birds now), but I will never ever leave her alone with them again. It's really not worth taking a chance.

It depends on the dog, but it's really quite rare that you can trust a single dog alone, let alone three. My 3 (two Shepherds and a Boston Terrier/Beagle) I would trust two, the boys. My girl? I'm pretty sure when she's twitching in her sleep it's because she's dreaming of the day I forget to lock the chickens up.

I've had 1 dog out of... what am I at now... 25? who I trusted with birds. Even raising them from puppies doesn't change their minds if they have prey drive of any kind. A Doberman and a Beagle, neither a rescue like most of the others, who proved that training and raising the dog and such will prevent an accident. One rooster to the Doberman because the rooster got into her area, 6 Call duck chicks killed and 3 pekins injured by the beagle in about 20 seconds.

But that one... he liked EVERY animal... he's a cool dog, my inlaws have him now. he went horse back riding with us and the goat (goat refused to be left behind!), he played with the rabbits. Really he watched the rabbits play with him, one would jump around and over him. Never seen a dog that could resist a jumping rabbit like that. He didn't even have an urge! And the baby ducks... OMG, he would let them sleep on him and he'd lead them around the yard and play daddy duck. 100% trusted that dog. His only vice? Squirrel chasing. Odd... that was the only time he showed any prey drive at all.

My male Shepherd? No prey drive. Watches the other two chase squirrels. He lays by the chicken run, watching. I'm not sure if he's guarding or contemplating something. He might be alright, I was going to do some leash training just to see. But trust him? Not until I see a rabbit jump over his head and him not even flinch, followed by him sleeping in a pile of ducks and acting like he's their daddy. LOL

Back
Top Bottom