Bringing Mareks to your chickens

Do you mean bringing it back on your clothes or person? Or bringing new birds to your flock?

If the later, chances are decent. There’s a mode of thought out there that states all established, mutli-generational, flocks likely have been exposed to Marek’s, and the question is simply how well they cope with whatever strain of Marek’s is present and then how well a strange flock would cope with the same strain.

When I take birds to an auction, they never come back here, and no birds come home with me either. When I get home, everything I've worn, shoes on up, goes in the washer. Cages I use to take them to the sale don't leave my car. I do everything possible to have my birds safe at home!
Also, we have no close neighbors with poultry, and because we are paranoid/careful, and lucky, don't have Marek's disease here.
Mary

I take mine to swaps once a month during the summer. I keep all birds off the ground, and try to stay a distance from other peoples birds. I also do want Folly’ place and wash my clothes and shoes when I return home. If I do bring a new bird home I quarantine it for 30 days.

I have the same concern as you Judykaymayes, I really don’t won’t mine to them to catch a disease that can’t be treated.

Back
Top Bottom