Bringing roosters inside at night

I also have to be shown. And the math/planning absolutely kills me😖 This warp was wound in October 2017 for Xmas gifts. I wove my samples and was tweaking it when my daughter's life absolutely exploded, my dog died, moved into a new house, my mentor passed (who I called for everything), started a job, my dad passed, horrible time executing his estate since the wife destroyed his will, daughter going through a year long court case (but she sent the bastard to prison!) and I think you get the point. Lol
But my 2 very close nieces decided to have babies 4 weeks apart (with one having twins!) so off with the towels and on to planning blankets. Oh, and the twins came early, no surprise. But now the other may come early and I don't even have her's planned yet! I'll be warping the loom this week for the twins though.
I hear the zoom lessons and also the programs you can download are great! I really liked Tom Knisley's and Robin Spady's workshops. And Katherin Webber is amazing with colors. Her site is Blazing Shuttles, you should look up her warps. (https://www.blazingshuttles.com/image-gallery/nggallery/blazing-shuttles/students-workshops) Sorry, I can really carry on about this so I'll shut up now🤦 hahaha
Oh, I'm sorry for what you've been through and I hope things are more peaceful now. 💜

Thank you for the link! I'm perusing now.

Hello all,

I have a question about bringing my 3 Serama chickens inside at night. The rooster, Sir Screech A Lot, crows early. While I am allowed roosters I'm my town I don't want to upset neighbors. In an attempt to curb the disturbance of early morning crows I decided to bring him and his 2 ladies inside at night. They are in a dog crate with a perch and moving blanket covering the top and 3 sides. I don't mind the crowing, which started a little later in the morning, and the neighbors should not be disturbed. Problem fixed.

My actual question is, they are in the sunroom which happens to be weaving room! I sometimes like to weave at night, usually never past 11pm, but obviously the lights are on. Will this disturb their sleep cycle too much? Not really any other space to easily put them. Maybe I can completely cover the crate while I'm up and lift it when I turn off the lights?

Any advice is appreciated! I want to keep this adorable flock of 3, good relations with my neighbors and keep weaving! Am I hoping for something unattainable?

Thanks!
Sounds like a good plan to me. You don’t have to bring the hens in if that would make it more difficult. Also, keep in mind that adult bantams will produce less dust than still growing chicks.

Oh, I'm sorry for what you've been through and I hope things are more peaceful now. 💜

Thank you for the link! I'm perusing now.
Thank you. Everyone has those trying times in their lives. I finally decided to try the suggested adhd meds and holy c*** it has been life changing!!! If I knew this I would have started them YEARS ago!! It's like a whole different world for me now. And I have my shit together enough to actually weave. I suggested my daughter(25 yrs old) try them, we are extremely similar, and she has had tremendous results with emotional regulation. And my youngest son(10 yrs old) started them now and he is doing amazing in school and hockey. Our lives are calmer now. It's amazing what treatment of ADHD can do. Never wanted stimulants for me (daughter is HF Autism but now I'm thinking it's just severe ADHD like me) and hubs argued like crazy for putting DS on them but I am so glad I did. Honestly, I am still dumbfounded I survived 44 yrs struggling like I did.

Sounds like a good plan to me. You don’t have to bring the hens in if that would make it more difficult. Also, keep in mind that adult bantams will produce less dust than still growing chicks.
They are super easy to bring in being only 1 lb each. And I wonder if having them all together keeps him content longer. The trio are constantly together 24/7. Also, I have a rug covered with puppy pee pads so no dust at all.

My only concern is the light and noise. Their cage will be covered but I will be up weaving and listening to something sometimes, not daily. Will this disrupt sleep and potentially cause avoidable issues? Or will they just be like house birds who free range during the day?

I also miss them being so friendly. When we got them they would sit in our hands on our laps contently. But since free ranging they've become so much more independent we can no longer catch them. If I am carrying them more, maybe this will help?

They are super easy to bring in being only 1 lb each. And I wonder if having them all together keeps him content longer. The trio are constantly together 24/7. Also, I have a rug covered with puppy pee pads so no dust at all.

My only concern is the light and noise. Their cage will be covered but I will be up weaving and listening to something sometimes, not daily. Will this disrupt sleep and potentially cause avoidable issues? Or will they just be like house birds who free range during the day?

I also miss them being so friendly. When we got them they would sit in our hands on our laps contently. But since free ranging they've become so much more independent we can no longer catch them. If I am carrying them more, maybe this will help?
I don’t think it will cause issues unless your chickens are very scared of people. If you think noise is going to be a problem for them, you could wear headphones.
I believe they will be more used to you if you carry them around more. Offering them treats helps a lot, too, and can make it easier to catch them.

I don’t think it will cause issues unless your chickens are very scared of people. If you think noise is going to be a problem for them, you could wear headphones.
I believe they will be more used to you if you carry them around more. Offering them treats helps a lot, too, and can make it easier to catch them.
Nope, not skittish at all from noise. They are use to big dogs, fireworks, gunshots (police training facility) skate ramp next door, neighbors kids screaming etc... And yeah, treats get them to come but all the others too. Most the birds we have are broody raised at this point and only the originals are mostly easy to pick. They are all friendly and know I'm food, water and treat lady. They just aren't all cuddly. But I do miss the Serama trio just hanging out with us. The Silkie trio is easier to catch and usually snuggle right in so they are stuck getting all the cuddles 🥰

But I'd rather free range them than cuddle them. Hahaha

Thank you. Everyone has those trying times in their lives. I finally decided to try the suggested adhd meds and holy c*** it has been life changing!!! If I knew this I would have started them YEARS ago!! It's like a whole different world for me now. And I have my shit together enough to actually weave. I suggested my daughter(25 yrs old) try them, we are extremely similar, and she has had tremendous results with emotional regulation. And my youngest son(10 yrs old) started them now and he is doing amazing in school and hockey. Our lives are calmer now. It's amazing what treatment of ADHD can do. Never wanted stimulants for me (daughter is HF Autism but now I'm thinking it's just severe ADHD like me) and hubs argued like crazy for putting DS on them but I am so glad I did. Honestly, I am still dumbfounded I survived 44 yrs struggling like I did.
That's great news. Of course the treatment has come a long way, too.

People online seem to either love or hate Ondura. I think results are climate dependent. Ondura works and lasts very well in my climate. We put it on a 40x100 foot barn five years ago after it held up so well on a garage (ten to fifteen years before we put it on the barn). It is doing well on the barn too.

Cool! You can share videos with us--?

Unfortunately, no. I've never recorded anything. I've been photographed many times by visitors to the historic site, but have almost no pictures of my own.

Now that would be cool! But I have to say I am not sure how that could be accomplished, especially during early morning.

You would love my guild! We have some historical spinners and weavers that do demonstrations and reenactments. Our weaver recreates, as much as possible, the fabric for the uniforms worn! She is an amazing weaver! And we just had our annual "Natural Dye Day" for the public. But honestly, not that many people come. We all just gather at the forest preserve and talk, work on projects and dye yarn samples.

That sounds like so much fun! I have very few spinners or weavers to interact with in person.

If you think noise is going to be a problem for them, you could wear headphones.

I have a very good, comfortable pair of wireless gaming headphones. Unfortunately, they seem to have been discontinued so I can't give you a link.

Unfortunately, no. I've never recorded anything. I've been photographed many times by visitors to the historic site, but have almost no pictures of my own.

That sounds like so much fun! I have very few spinners or weavers to interact with in person.

I have a very good, comfortable pair of wireless gaming headphones. Unfortunately, they seem to have been discontinued so I can't give you a link.
I do have some very comfy headphones to use. I just don't like them because hubs travels and I do not like the idea DS could be calling for me and I couldn't hear. I have very crazy fears like that, mostly people roll their eyes.

And that really stinks about no local guild. I know we currently have put of town members now that everything went to zoom. You could always join ours! We have a very active, and prolific, group of spinners!

Hello all,

I have a question about bringing my 3 Serama chickens inside at night. The rooster, Sir Screech A Lot, crows early. While I am allowed roosters I'm my town I don't want to upset neighbors. In an attempt to curb the disturbance of early morning crows I decided to bring him and his 2 ladies inside at night. They are in a dog crate with a perch and moving blanket covering the top and 3 sides. I don't mind the crowing, which started a little later in the morning, and the neighbors should not be disturbed. Problem fixed.

My actual question is, they are in the sunroom which happens to be weaving room! I sometimes like to weave at night, usually never past 11pm, but obviously the lights are on. Will this disturb their sleep cycle too much? Not really any other space to easily put them. Maybe I can completely cover the crate while I'm up and lift it when I turn off the lights?
Any advice is appreciated! I want to keep this adorable flock of 3, good relations with my neighbors and keep weaving! Am I hoping for something unattainable?

Thanks!
Hello from TN. Have you actually talked to your neighbors? If not, might I suggest that you have a friendly visit with the neighbors on both sides. You could be pleasantly surprised! By talking to them you can actually SEE their faces. If they oppose the Rooster, maybe you could use one of those No Crow collars. If you are against using the collar, you can go forward with your weaving room. Chickens are pretty amazing! I trained mine to "get up" later in the morning by putting shutters on my chicken's house! This also caused them to lay their eggs later in the day! I worked until late and didn't want to get up at dawn!

Back
Top Bottom