Bringing roosters inside at night

I actually had the same problem the neighbors were complaining, and we brought our rooster inside at night. Although, it does cause a bit of stress I don’t think it’s a horrible idea! 🤷🏼‍♀️
Fortunately, our neighbors have not complained. But right now they enjoy his daytime crows and have not been woken up by him so I'd like to keep it that way. Hahaha

I'll attach a pic of my Blackhawks game watching buddy tonight.

It looks like you warped the loom with a variegated gray, and then wove one blanket each with purple, blue, and gray? I like how it came out!
Yes, is a painted warp in grey tones. I added the light stripes to give more width. I wove two blankets which the wefts are blue and purple. They pictures are not very good for color.

I dyed all of the warp for the next blanket. My great niece is named Violet so I did blue, red and purple tones of violet. I have not figured out my weft colors yet, that will take sampling.

Attachments

• PXL_20211118_033506263.jpg
    PXL_20211118_033506263.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20211112_021404275.jpg
    PXL_20211112_021404275.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20211116_160508790.jpg
    PXL_20211116_160508790.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20211107_165710756.jpg
    PXL_20211107_165710756.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 6
This may sound weird, but I bring my roos in at night a few times a week for socialization and they sleep in a "kennel cab" plastic dog crate with that fake grass for dogs in the bottom to sleep on. I keep the fake grass dusted with diatomaceous earth so the poop is easy to shake out in the morning.

I sleep them out on my sunroom/porch/craft room and haven't really noticed any problems with the dust getting into my yarns. The Kennel cab is very much enclosed and then I also cover it with a towel so the rooster can sleep while I do human things. It all seems to work out fine.

Since all my babies move from the brooder to a few weeks in a chicken tractor with the kennel cab as a coop before merging with the flock, they are used to sleeping in it, and see it as a safe space. Also it's very handy if a bird gets injured or sick, needs to go to the vet or travel with me to another location, and they don't get stressed because they remember as babies that this was a safe place.

Now that all my boys are older (I have three 6 month olds!) I alternate bringing them in at night to keep them socialized with humans. We have a "no mean roosters" policy around here, and so far we've been really happy with the results of spending the extra "playtime" with them at night.

My roos are Orps (so lots and LOTS of feathers) and an Ameraucana (also extremely fluffy) and they really poop very little during the night, so it's not that much of a mess. Also, if you're worried about crowing, you can try the "no-crow collar". It worked so well for us that the neighbor asked us to take it off because she missed hearing the rooster's full crow!!! LOL.

Hope this helps!

An update on keeping a rooster inside at night. I have been bringing my, roughly 24-28 week, Silkie rooster before bedtime. I am enjoying the heck out of our time together! I get him when the house is dark and quiet. We enter through the kitchen, he gets a snack but last night I realized he is really hungry so it'll be crumbles now, then we head to the couch that I've covered up along with a large towel for on my lap and then some, and he nestles right in for a couple episodes of Criminal Minds. We then head to his crate and he gently clucks as we say good night. He's pretty much replaced my cat who was my lap buddy at night. He is staying super sweet. But in front of his girls he is all about keeping his distance while watching me closely. Once we are in the house he is all snuggles. So weird, but it's working for us, for now 🥰

@CreveChris

Here are my finished blankets. Pics are from on the loom and after finishing. Colors were really hard to catch on my phone the the brighter blue and purple pics are closest to actual colors.
Lovely weaving!!! Anx I'm so glad your roo is becoming a cuddly joy.

I've taught mine to walk back into his coop so I don't humiliate him in front of his girls. He's a slow learner since moving out of the brooder, but it's working. It's great to have a sweet roo 💖

Lovely weaving!!! Anx I'm so glad your roo is becoming a cuddly joy.

I've taught mine to walk back into his coop so I don't humiliate him in front of his girls. He's a slow learner since moving out of the brooder, but it's working. It's great to have a sweet roo 💖
Shoot, I didn't think about the carrying him back in making him look weak. I bet he'd follow me but I'd also hate to struggle catching him if he decided not to. Lol at least not in the winter. Lol

Thanks! I am warping, again, the next blanket. I did not like the first two patterns so I've completely changed course. ADHD and OCD don't mix well when you are working on a deadline🤦 I now have 1 week to warp, sample, weave, cut, hem, wash and finish this blanket along with the holiday, hubs leaving for work, all the daily crap and packing and preparing for my trip which includes packing all meals for 2 large dogs. I need a miracle! Hahaha

Last blanket done. I'm ready for a break! Lots of mistakes, it was a real challenge for my ADHD to keep the treading pattern straight. But, it's the thought that counts, right?? 🤷😂
I think it looks really nice.

I'm not noticing the mistakes, but that might be because I'm admiring a photo and you were the one paying close attention while you actually made it :)

Back
Top Bottom