Brinsea Ovation 28 EX - Evaporation Block Alternative

Kaiju

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi all,

Hope this is the right section to post this.

For Christmas, I got a Brinsea Ovation 28 EX. Just finished my first hatch with it with Coturnix quails and got a really good hatch. Going to be setting some duck eggs next.

It has this sponge thing in it, called an "evaporation block", that you place in the section where the water drips into. The incubator comes with 1, and it recommends replacing them every other hatch. At over 13 quid for a pack of 3, it seems... a little excessive?

Here's the page on Brinsea for them:
https://brinsea.co.uk/accessories-c...e-parts/evaporating-blocks-for-ovation-28-ex/

It also came with a hatching mat, and these are £15 for a pack of 6 and are meant to be disposed after each use. It seemed wasteful to me, so I used the one it came with as a template to cut out shelf liner that I can wash, disinfect and reuse.

So I was looking to ideally find a similar alternative for the "evaporation blocks" that I can disinfect and reuse more times to avoid waste. Although even just a cheaper alternative would be nice... I considered cutting up some coarse aquarium filter sponge to use? But I'm afraid of messing up and using something that will mess up the humidity levels.

Anyone have a Brinsea incubator with auto humidity and do you use anything as an alternative to Brinsea's own evaporation blocks? Or does anyone think the filter sponge may be a good alternative?

Sorry for having a bit of a ramble!

Just re-use it, I would. I don't see how it will harm the chicks in their incubating process.

Do you think I'm overworrying then? 😅
I did thorougly disinfect it, but I'm concerned there's good reason it recommends replacing it after every other hatch.
It feels quite... papery? And a little flimsy? So I'm just not really sure.

Thanks for your response though!

I did thorougly disinfect it, but I'm concerned there's good reason it recommends replacing it after every other hatch.

Hi, I've got the same issue - a decent first hatch, but they were goslings and really messed up the incubator during the hatch, including the evaporation block. I couldn't get it clean and fresh, so did the best I could and reused it. Second hatch was a mix of duck and chicken eggs, most of the chicks hatched but none of the ducklings did (some from my ducks, some bought in, so not the ducks). The only thing I could think is the evaporation block. Looking for an alternative, or might just try wothout?

Hi, I've got the same issue - a decent first hatch, but they were goslings and really messed up the incubator during the hatch, including the evaporation block. I couldn't get it clean and fresh, so did the best I could and reused it. Second hatch was a mix of duck and chicken eggs, most of the chicks hatched but none of the ducklings did (some from my ducks, some bought in, so not the ducks). The only thing I could think is the evaporation block. Looking for an alternative, or might just try wothout?

I soaked mine in F10 veterinary disenfectant before reusing and had a great hatch with the duck eggs! Followed by another decent hatch of quail eggs.

But I think I will just try out some coarse aquarium filter foam if this one does get messy/needs disposing (I have plenty of spare aquarium filter stuff). I believe I've heard people used some scrunched up paper towel too after googling around.

Edit to add:
In my admittedly limited experience the duck eggs seem more sensitive than chicken or quail that I've hatched. As I also had a poor duck egg hatch after the 1st good one, only getting 2 ducklings out of 12 eggs, many of which looked great on candling at 7 days. But I also mucked up and the auto humidity pump couldn't pull any water in for a few days and I didn't notice, so in my case I'm pretty sure it was down to that...

Last edited:

I cut a small strip from a diaper works better then the blocks and cheaper

My Ovation 56 eco is fairly easy most of the year. My house has 55% humidity. I’ve filled both water trays. But humidity is 29% normally I use just one tray and partial close the baffle. Im having to add container to get it to 45. I’ve recently been using my hatcher as the incubator a Gqf 1588 tells humidity and temp. Very accurate readings and you can calibrate to match your trusted instruments. It has 5 water cells so it’s easy to get humidity up to any level. Normally I use one and partially cover the one cell. I’ve recently pulled out a humidity controller I had laying around. And purchased a cheap humidifier that’s non digital just has a knob that controls the output level. The controller is a pain to set. The instructions are not that great. But once you’ve figured it out. It’s the best thing to happen to your humanity problems.
I’d like use it with the Ovation but don’t want to put a hole in the case. The 1588 is styrofoam and a new base is $20. For the money it’s an my opinion the best incubator for home use.

Back
Top Bottom