Broad Breasted Bronze went broody?

realtreegirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
My Broad Breasted Bronze went broody...she is about 10 months old. My Tom died about 2 months ago and she decided to sit on her non fertile eggs and my Rouen ducks fertile eggs. She has been sitting now for almost a week. I have just left her alone for one I didn't really think she would continue to sit but she is! She continues to collect the duck eggs as they lay each morning. She has about 15 duck egss and about 6 of her own.

I have not removed them because I have not caught her off of them. I have never had a broody anything so I really don't know what to expect. Can a turkey really hatch duck eggs? Should I remove them or leave her to sit ans see what happens? I do have a incubator to through them in if she decides to abandon growing babies.

Jediwalker

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Oregon
She should be able to hatch duck eggs just fine. I had a chicken who hatched turkey eggs even though the incubation period was a week longer. She might break the eggs because of how heavy she is, but again, she might not.

devinandfeather

Chirping
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Australia, Perth
The reason why a Chicken will hatch out a turkey is because a pout looks a lot like a chick. Where with ducklings they look completely different I had a chook hatch out a gosling and she killed 3 out of 5 of them and since turkeys are much larger they will get much more hurt

beardedmessman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Duck eggs are usually pretty thick shelled, wouldn't worry too much about them breaking.
But yes she should hatch them.

Top Bottom