Broad breasted turkey yield percentage

muddpuppy01

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
Does anyone know what the yield percentage is for a broad breasted turkey is?

I am trying to determine when to process my birds based on weight.

I don't know when I'm supposed to process mine either. They are huge! My kids want to keep them as long as we can but I think they'll get too hot and miserable once July temps hit.

I just did a search and read about a lady here on byc that got 15 meat turkeys and ended up processing the last of them at over age 1. For an 80 lb bird she got 30 lbs white meat and 25 lbs dark afyer deboning. Yowza! I had no idea they get that big! She said to take away their food 12 hrs per day so they dont gain weight too fast. I think she even got fertile eggs from them for a short while. Maybe we'll put our broad breasted female in with our beltsville whites to see if we get fertile eggs from her.

Broad Breasted Bronze Turkeys are what we raised. Our Tom is over 60#. He incapable of reproducing because his chest is MASSIVE. Our particular breed has to be artificial inseminated. Impossible for natural fertilization. We should have researched the breed before we committed to trying to raise offspring. Now we have 4 massive females in the freezer and a King Kong watch dog in the backyard.
Male Turkeys are like Donkeys.. The raise Cain if something wrong is going down.
We decided to spare him until we consume the sesame street big birds in the ice box.

Does anyone know what the yield percentage is for a broad breasted turkey is?

I am trying to determine when to process my birds based on weight.
This might be too late for you, but last year I processed hens at around 22 pounds and got a 17 pound bird for the freezer. Toms I did at 30 pounds and got a 23-24 pound bird.
This year I ended up with all toms and hit pretty close to those same numbers.

Back
Top Bottom