Broiler problems

Jul 31, 2023
Hello,

I have been rasing my first batch of broilers this year. I got 20 Big Red broilers from McMurray. I kept 10 and 10 went to a friend. I also got 12 assorted layers chicks at the same time around May 23.

The layers are doing great but the broilers are really struggling. I lost one a few weeks ago. The remaining 9 aren't thriving. 6 of them can't really walk. They have very bad splayed legs. I've been using a rubber band and straw to bring them back in trying to correct it but it doesn't seem to he working. The 3 that can walk still don't look anything close to the 10 that went to my fiends. His are bright red and setting on nice weight. Mine are still not red, many are bare and have no feathers on their backs. I am feeding Modesto Milling organic chick starter/broiler feed.

I've been rasing layers for many years and usually keep my flock healthy. Although this year I've had some losses and poor egg production too. This year has been tough.

I would appreciate any suggestions on ways to improve their health and legs or if they just need to be culled and regroup for a other try.

Thanks,
Andy

These are mine.
20230730_155931.jpg

These are my friends from the same batch.
tmp_79858939-7484-4b50-84ea-5b3ec184c1cc.jpeg

I got 20 Big Red broilers from McMurray. I kept 10 and 10 went to a friend.

the broilers are really struggling. I lost one a few weeks ago. The remaining 9 aren't thriving. 6 of them can't really walk. They have very bad splayed legs...The 3 that can walk still don't look anything close to the 10 that went to my fiends. His are bright red and setting on nice weight. Mine are still not red, many are bare and have no feathers on their backs. I am feeding Modesto Milling organic chick starter/broiler feed.

My first guess would be a nutritional deficiency of some sort.

Have you asked your friend what feed he is using?
If he is using a different feed, you might try getting some of that and offering it to your birds.

Do you provide feed all the time, or are you limiting how much feed they get? If you are limiting the feed, they may need more than you have been giving them. Also make sure they have water available at all times, because thirsty chickens will not eat the right amount of food.

I would appreciate any suggestions on ways to improve their health and legs or if they just need to be culled and regroup for a other try.
It might be too late for anything to help, but you could try changing the feed and see if that makes a difference. If they do improve, at least you know what to do the next time.

If the feed is the issue: it could be a problem with the way the company is choosing to formulate the feed, or the basic recipe could be fine but there could be a problem with the specific bag(s) you bought (maybe a few bags were stored wrong, or there was a mixing error with one batch, or something of the sort.)

I agree on checking what your buddy is feeding- whether it will end up helping these kids, or another round....

The leg issues usually show up early on if present....is there any chance that you missed it when they were smaller and more likely to respond to treatment?

Also, his tractor is lovely.... and if you are using feed from Modesto Milling.... I would -assume- that you live in or near Modesto?

How far away is your friend (is it any cooler where he is by chance? I have family in Modesto and it’s always been HOT and rarely a breeze when we visit)
Plus. I don’t remember ever seeing green grass there 😂

Also. Just to throw it out there (as a keeper of ducks)
I see your run has quite a lot of sticks etc
....have you checked the feet of the babies that are not walking well to see if perhaps they have sores/ bumblefoot?
Idk if chickens get bumblefoot.
And I know you said their legs are wonky. ...trying to limp on a sore foot can also make them look weird while moving.
And fighting an infection in their feet could also possibly explain why they are “behind” the other group.

One of my turkeys a while back started limping and had a swollen toe with a “scrape” on the bottom below the swelling. I treated him like I treat my ducks, and he’s doing great now.

Not sure if that helps, but good luck with whatever course you decide is best for you!

Also. Just to throw it out there (as a keeper of ducks)
I see your run has quite a lot of sticks etc
....have you checked the feet of the babies that are not walking well to see if perhaps they have sores/ bumblefoot?
Idk if chickens get bumblefoot.

Yes, chickens can get bumblefoot. Sticks in a chicken run are not usually a problem, but I agree that it makes sense to check their feet for sores.

Back
Top Bottom