Broilers instead of white leghorns?

whippoorwill0328

Chirping
May 23, 2018
So, sadly it took me longer than it should have to figure out what is going on. I purchased 4 chicks about 2 weeks ago from TSC. They were supposed to be pullet leghorns. I could clearly tell two of the 4 were not leghorns, but I suspected them to be barred rocks (not sure about that though). I was good with that. Now, in two weeks, the "white leghorns" have about tripled in size and are waaaayyyyyyy bigger than the other chicks, so I suspect I have broilers instead of white leghorns.
Thoughts?
IMG_6827.JPG
IMG_6827.JPG

Thanks all. I have always ordered online except for fertile eggs given to me to hatch in the past. I got my favorite chick from those and have no idea what it is. My uncle will take these two and I'll order some leghorns. The leghorns were my daughters request as we have had them in the past and they are her favorite. Now I have to break the news to her.

Next time order birds from a hatchery online it will guarantee what you order you receive
Or not. My neighbor went to the hatchery in person to pick up what he thought were White Rocks. They were White Leghorns. He was not happy. By the time he figured it out the chickens were pretty well grown. I don't know if he ever contacted the hatchery about it.

and I should also say, I am quite embarrassed it took me this long to figure out what the heck was going on with the chicks :lau:oops:. I have raised white leghorns from chicks before and knew they didn't grow like this. I guess I need more coffee and much more sleep.

Or not. My neighbor went to the hatchery in person to pick up what he thought were White Rocks. They were White Leghorns. He was not happy. By the time he figured it out the chickens were pretty well grown. I don't know if he ever contacted the hatchery about it.
I could see not being happy to get what you order...especially leghorns. While great layers, those girls could get themselves into more trouble than any other chickens I have had. They were my only ones to swim in our pool so far....
IMG_6828.JPG

Back
Top Bottom