Broke a record today!

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
Today we broke a record for catching snakes in the coop. Never before have We had to catch and relocate more than 1 snake in a day. Today we had to catch and relocate 2 Rat snakes. This morning I found one of my snowy mallard hens dead. She was on her back and looked like something had tried to swalllow it. My son found a black Rat snake in the coop and caught it. (We have found that the grabber my husband got when he had back surgery last year is great for catching snakes.) We took out it to some woods about 10 miles away and released it. This one was about 4 1/2 feet long. After supper I went to the barn to feed my mini and as I drove up my phone rang and my husband was calling to say that there was another snake in the nestbox in coop and I had the snake stuff still in my truck so off I go back home. My son catches this one and back to the barn we go as they have woods well away from the barns where we can turn the snake loose. This one is only about 4 foot long. I hope this is the last of them, but I doubt it as there is a yard next to our that hasn't been cut in about 4 years and has a pile of brush in it. Update: We just found another one in the coop that is at least 4 foot, but this one got away as it was dark outside. I know it will be back. That makes 3 in one day. Does any one know anything about a product called Liquid fence snake repellent?

HNever heard of it, but I have heard of an axe. That's what I'd do when a snake discovers easy meals they will keep coming back.

Wow that scares me. I hate snakes.
hide.gif

Thanks for the reminder.

I have an area behind our barn that backs up to the woods that I have procrastinated on cleaning up and cutting back. Had a rat snake in the coop one morning recently.

Dave

Last edited:
We have only had one snake in our coop, I relocated it. Can't wait for the next, my wife put on a show, the entertainment factor is top notch.

Do these snakes bother with hens that are too big for them to eat? I mean i have 2 snakes, only corn snakes mind but i'm pretty sure if in the wild they wouldn't bother with a hen. Here in Britain we only have grass & Adders in the wild, neither are a problem really. Just curious really.

That's scary I hate snakes and sorry about your hen. If you put up deer fencing they get tangled and stuck but never heard of a liquid snake reppelent

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom