Broke the Rules During Lockdown and Opened the Lid. More than once.

snaffle

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2009
Illinois
On day 18 I transferred eggs to the hatcher. Heard cheeping from one of the eggs. A couple of hours later a chicked hatched. Day 19 2 chicks hatched and a couple pipped. Day 20 those pipped never did anything more and as much as I have been told to not open the hatcher lid, I did. One of the pipped eggs had a dead chick, the other was still alive so I cracked the egg enough to help it. Pricked the large end of the last two eggs and opened them a bit. One chick was dead but the other was still alive. I ran warm water over the shell, wet a paper towel with warm water, returned the egg to the hatcher and set the wet paper towel over the egg. Because I had a large hole opened up I checked that egg every couple of hours and rewet the egg, rewet the paper towel, and using the drip of water from the end of my finger, I wet the membrane in the egg because it had become white and dry. After a few hours of doing this I realized that the chick was breach when I saw it had pipped on the small end.... so I set the egg on the floor of the hatcher and not in the egg carton. A few hours later I cracked the shell a bit more and eventually the chick worked his way out. Alive.

Was the chick moving at all? Same thing happened to me, he pipped last night, and he's made progress but hasn't moved in several hours or chirped like he was doing. I removed a lot of the egg but I've noticed that the membrane is very thick like. This is my first time incubating, I hope he makes it

On day 18 I transferred eggs to the hatcher. Heard cheeping from one of the eggs. A couple of hours later a chicked hatched. Day 19 2 chicks hatched and a couple pipped. Day 20 those pipped never did anything more and as much as I have been told to not open the hatcher lid, I did. One of the pipped eggs had a dead chick, the other was still alive so I cracked the egg enough to help it. Pricked the large end of the last two eggs and opened them a bit. One chick was dead but the other was still alive. I ran warm water over the shell, wet a paper towel with warm water, returned the egg to the hatcher and set the wet paper towel over the egg. Because I had a large hole opened up I checked that egg every couple of hours and rewet the egg, rewet the paper towel, and using the drip of water from the end of my finger, I wet the membrane in the egg because it had become white and dry. After a few hours of doing this I realized that the chick was breach when I saw it had pipped on the small end.... so I set the egg on the floor of the hatcher and not in the egg carton. A few hours later I cracked the shell a bit more and eventually the chick worked his way out. Alive.

He looks good. Good job on your assist!

Was the chick moving at all? Same thing happened to me, he pipped last night, and he's made progress but hasn't moved in several hours or chirped like he was doing. I removed a lot of the egg but I've noticed that the membrane is very thick like. This is my first time incubating, I hope he makes it
Chicks can take between 12-24 hours after they pip to actually start zipping. So if your chick has pipped normally and the membranes are nice and white and papery and there is breathing and chirping, do NOT be alarmed. Play them some chick music such as this one:

0.jpg

and watch for their reaction. Good luck on your first hatch.

This is my first time for everything chicken. I'm on day 18 and terrified. . You have to open the incubator to assist but thought that was a no no. What will happen if the incubator is opened during lockdown?

The ideal is to not open the incubator. It just doesn't always work that way.

Please keep in mind you might not need to assist at all.

If you need to open the incubator the goal is to lose as little of the heat and moisture as possible. I find that a hand towel that is damp with warm/hot water put into the incubator as it is opened works well to keep the levels from dropping too much.

note, make sure the towel isn't actually touching the eggs.

My issue is that I have 6 Bantam eggs that don't go into lockdown until the 21st. Is it possible to turn them a couple of times a day. Will the humidity be too great for them?

Back
Top Bottom