Broken beak! Please help

From the photo I wonder if it’s torn on the inside too or just cracked on the outside. @Tycine1 describes what I’m thinking too. What I have for aspirin dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 baby aspirin (81 mg tab). You can crush it and syringe it in water or put the tiny bit in her beak on her tongue.
Yeah, I worry about that too but she looks fine internally and I imagine if the flesh/ bone were broke then she'd show more sign of discomfort. I believe she's ok. To be honest this is the first time she's ever been hurt, she's been alert but very docile. At this point its 1am so she's sleeping but I think I got worked up thinking she was dying because she didn't react much after the initial shock, she just became docile and sad looking... Probably just a mix of getting sleepy and all the commotion. Thankfully she's not kept up in pain or suffering much. But since it's her first injury, I wondered if she was so injured she couldn't move however shes been carrying on as usual since and is now sleeping peacefully ... She had me welling up in panic for a bit though lol

Thank you, so you're suggestinwas so injured she couldn't move however shes been carrying on as usual since and is now sleeping peacefully ... She had me welling up in panic for a bit though lol

Don’t worry. I’d be frantic. One of the reasons I like this board is how willing people are to help. Even if it’s just to sit with us.

@Angelita, my chicken broke her beak this past July 4th and I got a lot of helpful advice from the knowledgeable people here. My girl's beak didn't break as far back as yours did but did end up breaking off. Hopefully your girl's stays attached. I was told to keep mine in a cage (I kept her in a dog cage in the run so she could still be with the other chickens) and to feed her a chicken feed and water mixed to a porridge consistency. I kept her in the cage until she could eat the regular chicken feed. It took about 3 weeks. I'm not sure if your girl's time table would be the same. Anyway, I wanted to show you a before and after picture of 'Chickie' and to let you know that I panicked too and that I think your girl will be fine.
img_7434-jpg.1835274

img_7484-jpg.1859860

My Poppy had this happen, though I don't know if her injury was as severe as your chicken's. Poppy's was like if a person's fingernail was pried up from the nail bed, like an opened car hood (like you said). Her beak wasn't broken, though, just the top layer of it.

I didn't clip it because I was afraid to. It came off anyway the next day and her "raw" beak was icky and bloody. Poor girl... I offered her mash (feed mixed with water). She ate that for a couple of days and then went right back to eating her usual feed. She didn't peck at the ground as much, though. She is fine now, and the jagged edge where it broke off grew out rather quickly. Her beak is 100% normal now.

My Poppy had this happen, though I don't know if her injury was as severe as your chicken's. Poppy's was like if a person's fingernail was pried up from the nail bed, like an opened car hood (like you said). Her beak wasn't broken, though, just the top layer of it.

I didn't clip it because I was afraid to. It came off anyway the next day and her "raw" beak was icky and bloody. Poor girl... I offered her mash (feed mixed with water). She ate that for a couple of days and then went right back to eating her usual feed. She didn't peck at the ground as much, though. She is fine now, and the jagged edge where it broke off grew out rather quickly. Her beak is 100% normal now.
This makes me feel so much better, I was really looking for some input from someone who has experienced something similar. Everyone is so helpful, I'm beyond greatful... I was a mess over her at first I nearly had a heart attack lol. Thank you all so much!

This makes me feel so much better, I was really looking for some input from someone who has experienced something similar. Everyone is so helpful, I'm beyond greatful... I was a mess over her at first I nearly had a heart attack lol. Thank you all so much!

Yes, I've had a couple beak issues and they do heal quickly. As mentioned before, trim off what might catch on things. It can be hard to get it with nail clippers - I keep a pair of Fiskars small branch trimmers for just this purpose. They're straight blade and very sharp, easy to control. (link below). I'll try to find my pictures.

You can wrap your girl in a towel to help contain her if need be. We sprayed everything with Vetricyn after trimming sharp pieces out, then dabbed a little Neosporin around the seam. Give her luke warm water, and mix warm water into crumble to make a nice soft food for her.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/fiskars-so...-_-0&msclkid=263b6cfa675511bab7dd31530431adf4

Yes, I've had a couple beak issues and they do heal quickly. As mentioned before, trim off what might catch on things. It can be hard to get it with nail clippers - I keep a pair of Fiskars small branch trimmers for just this purpose. They're straight blade and very sharp, easy to control. (link below). I'll try to find my pictures.

You can wrap your girl in a towel to help contain her if need be. We sprayed everything with Vetricyn after trimming sharp pieces out, then dabbed a little Neosporin around the seam. Give her luke warm water, and mix warm water into crumble to make a nice soft food for her.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/fiskars-so...-_-0&msclkid=263b6cfa675511bab7dd31530431adf4
Oh, yes! Vetericyn is good stuff. I used that, too. I didn't put anything else on it because it looked so painful! But Neosporin would be ok. Just avoid anything with pain meds of the "caine" variety. And I probably should have trimmed Poppy's beak. Good advice.

Back
Top Bottom