Broken beak

Shanna61170

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2018
20171230_140403.jpg
Will her beak grow back??

No.

How long ago did this happen? Do you know how?

If it just happened, she's in a lot of pain. Give her some baby aspirin, one in the morning and one at night so she can sleep without a lot of pain.

No, unfortunately it won't. I had this happen with a rooster - not to the same extent, though. You will have to figure out some way to feed her and make sure she gets water, since she can't peck or drink now. She may have to be protected from the rest of the flock for the same reason . . . no way to defend herself in the pecking order. There may be ways to help her work around it, but I don't have any experience with those. This is a problem that she'll have for the rest of her life.

No, unfortunately it won't. I had this happen with a rooster - not to the same extent, though. You will have to figure out some way to feed her and make sure she gets water, since she can't peck or drink now. She may have to be protected from the rest of the flock for the same reason . . . no way to defend herself in the pecking order. There may be ways to help her work around it, but I don't have any experience with those. This is a problem that she'll have for the rest of her life.
She is only 11 weeks old. It happened over xmas. We where gone for over a week. She is pecking at the ground and seems to be eat and drinking.

Keep an eye on her to make sure that she is eating and drinking adequately. Chickens like her generally do better than cross beaked birds. (a large portion of the egg industry clips beaks at hatch.)

Her food intake is critical if she's only 11 weeks old. She has at least nine more months of growing in front of her.

Just because she appears to be pecking at the ground doesn't necessarily mean she's getting enough to eat. Having a beak amputated that far up is about the same as your having your fingers chopped off at mid-knuckle. It would make it extremely hard for you to pick up anything.

Therefore, moistening her feed is a good way to make it easier for her to eat and get the amount she needs. Even better would be to ferment the feed to increase the available nutrients.

Her food intake is critical if she's only 11 weeks old. She has at least nine more months of growing in front of her.

Just because she appears to be pecking at the ground doesn't necessarily mean she's getting enough to eat. Having a beak amputated that far up is about the same as your having your fingers chopped off at mid-knuckle. It would make it extremely hard for you to pick up anything.

Therefore, moistening her feed is a good way to make it easier for her to eat and get the amount she needs. Even better would be to ferment the feed to increase the available nutrients.
I have been making sure there is feed that is ground up like powder and I also grind up any treats For her as well.

Greetings and welcome to BYC. Glad to have you with us, even if it is due to less than ideal circumstances. As others have said, it will not grow back & it will be more difficult for her to eat and drink, but as long as she's able to do both, she can still have a long life. Best of luck to you and her.

A an aside, powder will be even harder for her to pick up than something a bit larger, more solid/moist.

Please put at least your general location in your profile as it's sometimes very important when asking for help/advice. Browse around the site as there's a wealth of info and experience available and make yourself at home!

Back
Top Bottom