Broken blood feather on my turkey

Kyhoney01

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
My daughter cut our turkeys blood feather by accident when he started getting stressed out. She cried all night but I did get the bleeding to stop. I’ve read that in chickens, you pull the blood feather out at the skin, but I’ve read somewhere that you should never do that to a Turkey. I’m having trouble finding the info in this. Can anyone advise? He has what looks like a vein hanging out of it tonight. I’m just worried sick about him.

3B206018-F283-46CB-B2E0-63AC22A2FFD4.jpeg

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

I am sure other more experienced members will chime in and will be able to assist you better. Pictures are very helpful as mentioned about. Good luck with your turkey. :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

How is the bird doing now? Usually a bit of corn starch packed on the tip will stop the bleeding, however if blood continues to flow after using corn starch, you can pluck the feather out. Then at molting time, check to see that the new feather is coming in and not ingrown.

Good luck and welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom